Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Belleville
Hi Everyone! It's been pretty quiet around here lately, so here we go!

I've been having more and more tremors (I think they're called tremors anyway). It's when my hands, arms or legs shake uncontrollably in an involuntary manner. When it happens, it is so rapid that I couldn't duplicate that motion if I tried. It's rather fascinating to watch but it can't be good for ya, ya think? Only way I can stop it is to place my hand(s) against a solid object or put my feet on the floor. It's such fast movement it looks like a blur. It doesn't hurt. It is very weird!

It happens with my hands a lot when I get up in the morning while reaching for something to hold on to. It happens with my lower legs when my feet are dangling from my PWC with the footrests up.

My questions are; does anyone else experience these tremors? What is the cause? How bad do they get? Is there any way to stop them?

I may have posted on this subject before, but I can't find it and don't recall the responses. All I know is they are getting worse by the day.

Thanks, TB

It sounds like clonus.
As you noticed, changing position a bit stops it, that's all I know of to make them stop I'm afraid.

Yep. Sounds like clonus. I get it at night when I waken suddenly or am half awake and resting. It only seems to happen when I'm not engaged in any purposeful activity. Deliberate movement or holding the offending limb works for me. I don't find it uncomfortable or inconvenient- it's actually in interesting sensation. I can only imagine how it looks to others though. I'm not sure if there's any drug that would seriously reduce or stop the movement- I'd be interested to hear.

Fiona

YUP...it is clonus, I have it in my wrists and ankles. It started in my left ankle about 3 years ago. It is present for me daily, and I have so bad sometimes it interferes with working with my hands, and walking.

I can change the angles of my hands or feet and it goes away. It seems more prevalent as I progress, and is a definite big time worry for me. I need to drive and ride my trikes, and work with my hands for my mental well being. Hope it doesn't progress to the point that I can no longer do the things I luv doing.

I don't know bullsh!t from apple butter.......but I think it is tied into spasticity some way. It makes me kinda bounce when I walk at times.

Perhaps I should change my signature to "THE KING OF CLONUS":cry:

Last edited:
First note that I don't have any MNDs. I'm totally healthy.

For years I have been twitching, tremoring, or bouncing all over from time to time. It's practically a party game--come look at Dad's belly/chest/hand/arm/cheek twitching and shaking. It happens often, maybe daily for no reason. I consider it amusing.

When I'm relaxing in bed, sometimes my left arm will suddenly shoot up into the sky.

Also my legs have RLS horribly, and I cannot stand it if I forget to take my Pramipexole pills well before bedtime. My legs will feel creepy crawley until I'm ready to scream. I can't sleep because my legs will jump up at the moment I begin to relax. Sometimes my left glute will jerk so hard and powerfully that it will knock me out of bed. This has been developing for three decades, since I was 25.

Ask your doctor to consider klonopin or pramipexole.

Clonus isn't usually treated successfully with meds, tho tinzanidine can help a bit.

Stretching and changing position is usually best.

One of Chris's first symptoms well before swallowing or speech issues was incredible jaw clonus. Hard to do a good stretch or change of position there!

Mike (Atsugi), I get that creepy crawly (achey) sensation in my legs at night also. It's a killer. Sometimes my right knee feels like it's on fire. I thought that was spasticity(?). TB

Spasticity shows as increased muscle tone - and increase doesn't mean something positive in this sense.

It's kind of like there is all this static on the line - so when the signal is trying to tell a muscle to contract, it isn't sure what the message is. To move smoothly one set of muscles contract or shorten while the opposite set extend or lengthen. If the signals are not clear then opposite muscles are maybe both trying to contract, or both trying to extend and the muscles become tense with the strain and the movements are jerky or maybe halt at times. All this extra tension can certainly leave the muscles aching and fatigued.

Baclofen reduces the static the muscles are 'hearing' and so the muscles are able to get the signals right. However, often all the tension actually gives an appearance of strength and people on Baclofen or similar meds, feel that it has made them weak. Really it has reduced the spastic tension and so the true weakness has become more apparent.

Restless leg syndrome tends to happen mostly when in a relaxed state and can involve a feeling of pins and needles and a need to move. If you try to ignore and lay still, involuntary jerks or little spasms will happen.

Mike (Atsugi), I get that creepy crawly (achey) sensation in my legs at night also. It's a killer. Sometimes my right knee feels like it's on fire. I thought that was spasticity(?). TB

This is classic Restless Leg Syndrome: Sometimes the leg just kicks without warning, sometimes the creepy crawley sensation gives you warning. But you have to move your leg to relieve that "itch." This could go on for hours. I used to pace the room all night long.

Long drives or airplane flights are torture. You have to get up and walk. It usually hits at night, when you try to relax.

Mine is now perfectly controlled by Pramipexole.

My husband is having shaking fits at night. They usually occur when he is rolling over and stretching. As soon as he stretches out, his body begins to shake - I believe it is in his legs. It lasts about 20 seconds, but need to actually time this. Do you think this is clonus or tremors? Is this associated with ALS (we are still awaiting official diagnosis, one PLS diagnosis and one probable ALS diagnosis)? This is a new symptom. He is also on antidepressants and I read something about it having to do with serotonin levels (on the inter webs!).

Welp! You guys have convinced me it's Clonus. I always thought it affected only the feet, guess I was wrong.

How the heck did this symptom get named Clonus? Sounds like some distant planet in a cheap outer space film, doesn't it? Lol

I also now know why my spasticity prone legs' increased muscle tone makes me look like the Incredible Hulk but have the strength of Kermit the Frog.

Thanks for all the informative responses! TB

I always thought Clonus sounded like a Roman emperor. B movie sci fi is a way better description.

Someone on another fb group posted a clip of his clonus, and it reminded me of when my dog dreams of running. I do not want to know what I look like. I do know that the cat always jumps off the bed in a huff when I jackrabbit, so it's probably totally ridiculous looking. But you're right- it does keep you toned...

I think ankles are the most susceptible to it, which is why neuros always sit there and yank up on your foot to see what happens. My vanity dictates I get a pedicure with fancy nail polish now when I have a doctor's appt because I know they're going to be crouched down and looking.

Captain: "Scotty, take us to warp speed or we will be sucked into the atmosphere of Clonus"!

Scotty: "Aye aye copt'n"

Mr Spock: "Is not Clonus the home planet of Mork"?

Captain: "No you silly Vulcan... Mork is from Ork"!

Scotty: "Copt'n, she can't take it, she's breaking up"!!

Captain: "Follow my orders and maintain warp velocity"!

Mork: "Nanu nanu"

Mindy: "Oh Mork"

If you guys think I'm getting a little punchy, you're right! TB

Just to educate you lot :)

Clonus comes from the Greek word meaning "jerk".

And no smutty jokes please :)

Fiona, you were so very close. Clonus was not a Roman Emperor but he was a Greek Jerk! That explains a lot.

I hate this so bad, just wish I could wake up and feel normal again! TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back