Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CT
City
Old Lyme
I had heard of a treatment of low dose Benadryl, what it does it inhibits the dieing of cells in your body....anyone else heard of this? 5ml of kids liquid every 3 hours........

Re: Just diagnosed with PLS

I don't know who would say something like that about Benadryl.

It is an antihistamine. A side effect of many antihistamines is to feel dry in the mouth. So you could feel a bit better, but goodness me you don't take an antihistamine every 3 hours long term.
Another side effect is drowsiness - you could end up terribly sleepy all the time.

Someone is pulling your leg.

Re: Just diagnosed with PLS

The active ingredient in Benadryl, which is diphenhydramine, has recently been the subject of some social media speculation on science unproven as of yet. The idea of the low frequent dosing is to reduce sedation and other anticholinergic effects while maximizing efficacy in CNS disorders.

Since the anticholinergics are implicated in the development of Alzheimer's and most PALS are not looking for sedation (or dementia), it's not something I'd rush to try w/o more data.

Last edited:
What in the world does that have to do with PLS?

The speculation is around mitochondrial protection. I'm not going to hype it beyond that, was just setting the record straight.

Anyway, you're right, Al, any further discussion should go into a research thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back