Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northfield
I am new to writing on this site but I have gained much knowledge following the site. I have PLS and now need a right hip replacement. Has anyone had experience having a joint replacement surgery with PLS? Did any complications occur after surgery because of the PLS? Was there an Exacerbation of PLS following surgery? Thank you

How mobile are you? Do you smoke? The major complication of joint replacement is infection, though small in the right hands and circumstances. Maintaining circulation after the op is always a concern. The quality and understanding of the rehab program after surgery as to your disease would also be top of mind.

I would ask your ortho surgeon to consult w/ your PLS neuro as to achievable benefit/risk ratio, and consult w/ both to ensure that the PT rehab you are bound for is experienced w/ MND.

Thank you for the response. I walk short distances with a cane (about 200 feet) but need a wheelchair for any distance beyond that or if I anticipate having to stand more than 5 minutes.

I have been seeing a Physical Therapist outpatient for 2 years now who is well versed in PLS/MND so I am lucky that she will be my home therapist after surgery.

The pain in my right hip is excruciating and severely limiting the limited motion I usually have so it is absolutely necessary to have it. The Ortho is going to consult my Neurologist prior to the surgery to see if there is anything that needs to be done to put me in the most optimum shape from a neuromuscular point of view. I don't think there would be anything to do in addition to what I am already doing.

I take Baclofen 70 mg daily (down from 120mg daily) since my LFT's were a bit out of line.

I do wonder and I will ask my neurologist if it is more beneficial to have the benefit of increased Baclofen as opposed to less and have more spasticity going into and following surgery.

and no I have never smoked.

I would think that controlling spasticity as much as possible would be really important as maintaining alignment is so important after a hip replacement. My mother had one at the beginning of her symptoms before diagnosis ( ALS/FTD) but she was not spastic

Nancy I really don't envy your decision making process.

I certainly agree with Laurie in the fact that the positive aspects would need to outweigh any drawbacks.
My very uneducated guess would be that they won't give any assurances, that benefits would have to be assessed after the op.

I too have a bad hip. The surgeon was very honest and said that an operation wouldn't change a thing. It wasn't a replacement though Nancy, just a tap dancing injury from years ago flaring up.

I so wish for you there was an easy answer.

Please keep us posted on any decision.

God bless, Janelle xx

PS welcome! I'm very glad you are here for support and friendship. J xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back