Diagnosis
02/2005
Country
US
State
RI
City
warren
M and I have been having discussions regarding whether he needs a health alert monitor. I now insist that some one stay at the house at night. M is mobile to a point. we have walkers around the house. He can get down the stairs with railings and he can still drive. Outside he uses his Zinger wheelchair or his walker. I will be going to Antarctica for 12 days in Nov. His sister and her boyfriend will be staying at the house. I of course am petrified of leaving but this opportunity arose and I am going with M's blessings and jealousy. I have thought now is the time for a health alert monitor that functions both in and out of the house. Does any one have experience with these and suggestions? Of course M is against this.
Anna

Avnl, can't remember if he is a vet. The VA paid for a Freedom Alert for my hubby. He, too, was against it but gave in because of my worrying about him so much. Freedom Alert has no monthly charges- you program in up to 3 numbers to be called and if no one answers, it automatically goes to 911. So we put our closest neighbors' numbers in, as well as my cell. Unfortunately, it has to be so many feet from the landline, so would not work too far out in the yard. Can be work on a pendant, a bracelet, or clipped to your waist.
Good luck. I felt so much better having to leave knowing he had help available. Donna

Cheerleader - I'm intrigued with your information about the Freedom Alert. I have resisted getting an alert button because my speech is so impaired that only those who know me well can understand a few words. The medical alert systems I've looked at are answered by a call center, so if the person answering couldn't understand me, he/she would call 911. If the emergency responders came and my only problem was that I couldn't get off the couch, I would feel pretty silly and, more important, would probably be stuck with a big bill. Something that would automatically call a neighbor or friend would be great!

Our phone came with one of those pendant things. I wear it when I'm home alone 'just in case'. Wayne's mobile and my mums mobile are programmed in just in case.
I can answer calls from it as it has a speaker, but can only call the two numbers programmed.
I feel like an old woman wearing it, but I had fallen previously while home alone, it was very scary.
All the best with getting M to wear one, Anna. Can't wait for pictures of your awesome trip!
God bless, Janelle x

With better range than the Freedom Alert (which we had) is a button that is powered by a smart phone since it works wherever you have your phone and service. It has similar capabilities (call friends only, or call friends and if no response, 911, that kind of thing). There are several that are app only but I saw a physical one recently that looked unobtrusive --Bluetooth --blanking on name but maybe search for it or I will remember. So you could program it and then all M would need is to push a button, assuming he travels around w/ his phone.

Old dog, don't worry about impaired speech. The people you program in know what the situation is ( because you tell them when you program them in.), so they would just come to check. That's why we programmed in NEIGHBORS first, rather than family because they are in close proximity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back