Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
mi
City
Novi
(This same post appears in the ALS General Discussion Forum)

I have recently received my PWC thru University of Michigan seating clinic. It has the independently adjustable recline back and power lift feet pedals. I purchased the seat lift feature out of pocket.

So far, I've had two difference wheelchair tech out to make adjustments. Its getting better, but I'm still very frustrated with this chair. This machine is not nimble. The caster wheels (front mostly) are "squirrely"! Backing up is especially difficult. I move the joystick in the correct direction, but the wheels have a mind of their own. The chair also "surges" and "lurches" when I'm trying to make slow, tight maneuvers. It also doesn't stop immediately (in even the slowest speed) when I let off the joystick. Now, after the last adjustment, I can't get up the ramp of the van. The drive wheels just spin (and the caster wheels lurch!)

So what I've found with the chair so far is that I can go flying across the mall parking lot, but can't maneuver thru the clothing racks in a store. I can probably take on some light trail riding, but can't back up in a tight space, like a public restaurant.

I know I'm a new user, but can someone who owns one of these beasts give me encouragement that I have really been fitted with the right machine for me and that there is more that can be done to solve the problems I'm experiencing? It shouldn't be this hard!

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back