Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
AUS
State
Western Australia
City
By the beach
I've just been to the dentist for the first time since all this began.

It was horrible!

I couldn't keep my mouth open properly, so he had to hold it open with the little mirror. The prodding of the teeth wasn't so bad. It was the cleaning. Whoa! What was that all about?

My whole body kept spasming and my hand kept doing this weird waving clonus thing. Whaaaat? I lost count of how many times I apologised. The little thing they put in your mouth for X-rays kept making me gag. That was fun.

He said I need three fillings and one of my wisdom teeth out.

That's not the worst...they slogged me $350!

Does anyone else have trouble at the dentist?

God bless, Janelle x

I need to go to the dentist, but just feel like it's a waste of money at this point.

My last trip to the dentist was similar. If dentists make you anxious, spasticity could be a major problem!
My dentist uses these very firm rubber/plastic blocks to keep my mouth open. Not only do they reduce fatigue from straining to keep your jaw wide, but they prevent any spastic pirahna action. I highly recommend these. Maybe ask if your dentist can get these for your next appt. They were a life saver for me, as jaw fatigue is one of my more recent new fun things to deal with.
My biggest issue was when my dentist accidentally dropped a metal tool into his metal tray, which startled me, and I reacted like I'd been shot. Flailing arms, bowed back, spastic legs pushing me right off the chair. Which, in turn, startled him and caused him to whiz back in his wheeled chair and hit the wall behind him. Good times.

We agreed that Ativan or something similar would be included in our next appointment. Janelle, I feel for you! Dental work is never fun- but adding in spasticity that increases with stress just isn't fair. My Scottish grannie comes to mind when speaking of her own teeth and dental work- "I couldnae be bothered so I had'em oot when I was 20." I'm not there yet, but I understand her now.

And, Max, I had the very same response! But it was almost relief- like, teeth are the least of my worries now! But then I realized adding tooth pain to the mix is not something I want to do quite yet.

Steve went recently. They did a deep cleaning and scaling. They said they do this for all als patients. He did okay with the xrays. They prescribed a special toothpaste for him. He uses it at night. Not an easy thing for him keeping up with the oral care. He didn't enjoy the experience....he said they were very good and kind but it exhausted him. He isn't sure he needs to do it again.

When I go to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned I go my PWC (Permobil M300). The hygienist moves the regular chair to the side and she does my teeth in my PWC. I tilt it back so she can do my teeth and I am very comfortable. I also gag when doing x-rays so they gave up on them. I generally cough a few times during the process due to particles tickling my throat. She is very patient with me.

i had to pulled 16 of mine and never been to a dentist. :)

This is educational. I hope more people post their dental suggestions.

heck i thought i was going to get new ones made till i lost my hands to pull the rest of them with.

I'm dreading going to the dentist.
Going to ask for cleaning only. No x Ray.
May take sedative first.

Things I've said no more about (happily)
Mammogram
Colonoscopy
Sunscreen

They brought up the colonoscopy to Steve. He asked why? Plus drinking that stuff makes him sick.

Sorry not trying to hijack

You guys are too funny.

ShiftKicker, I am still laughing about your dental experience - so sorry if it hurt you.

As a former dental phobe (on a scale of 1-10 I was a 20!) having visited many dentists around the country all claiming to be pain free and had some horrible experiences which only increased my anxiety. . Then we found this amazing dentist in Sedona who is honestly pain free. For example, he has his topical compounded especially for him so I truly don't even feel the injections. He puts enough of the topical on, waits a few minutes then injects a tiny bit of novacaine (I assume) and waits several minutes, then a tiny bit more, etc. I've had root canals, implants, crowns, etc and I feel nothing. He also uses the rubber blocks to keep my small mouth (some would not agree it's small:shock:) open.
There is absolutely no reason to have discomfort at the dentist anywhere/anytime. I actually enjoy going now. My pals wants his teeth cleaned because I'm not that effective at his brushing.

Sherry

Sherry, not at all! My startle response was beyond anything the dentist had ever encountered, and was entirely comical. Thing is, that dentist had been a total life saver over the past few years and had almost erased my past terrors of dental work. That was me being relaxed at the dentist.
Janelle, I wish you luck in finding a dentist that can help reduce your body stress during treatment. It ties into that other post on the PLS forum about spasticity incresing with stress. If there ever was a place to be stressed, the dentist is it. I'm sure the more you worried about your physical response, the worse it got. Poor you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back