Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
My tummy is raw from the bumper on my feeding tube...any suggestions? I already use a gauze bandage but that doesn't seem to help. I also have a lot of skin granulation it is very painful! Help!

Sorry to hear about that. Don't have the remedy but consider joining the adult tube feeding group on Face book. I know they have discussed this is in the past but don't remember what the suggestions were

a medication called granulotion works great on the granulation. but it stings, not too bad and only for a minute. we found it at granulotion dot com. i found out about it at tubechic dot com. she has a pictorial of her use of it in her blog. she may have something about rashes there. i know she mentioned she gets a yeast infection under her circle and recommends a product for clearing that up too. she used to post here.

How long have you had your tube?

I've had mine since November. Once I stopped using the gauze I stopped having granulation issues. We clean with soap and water. And my bumpers so loose which I like best.

I don't speak from experience(having had mine for 6 weeks now) but if it's too loose it could allow stomach acid to leak...?

I've had mine since February. The bumper gouges my skin. I'm only comfortable when lying flat.

The bumper is not there to prevent leakage. It is there to prevent the tube from being gradually sucked into your stomach during normal stomach activity!

In my experience, much of the pain I experienced was due to the tightness of the outside bumper on the tube. Surgeons push these down against the stoma (opening through the skin) very tightly and I can only guess that the reason is to pull the inside bumper or balloon snuggly against the stomach wall inside. This pressure would help prevent bleeding from the hole in the stomach wall. Unfortunately, what is snug on the inside puts painful pinching pressure on the skin. The outside flange digs into the skin and even looks painful. This is easily and safely fixed a day or so after surgery when bleeding is no longer likely. The external bumper/flange is soft plastic ring, triangle, or pair of wings that is not actually attached to the tube. To back it away from the skin, simply lift the opposite edges of the flange and pinch them up against the tube. This will open the hole in the flange and allow it to be slid along the tube. It may stick at first and you need to be careful not to tug on the tube, but with gentle manipulation, it will move and the pain relief will be nearly instant.

Over the counter 1% cortisone cream shrinks away granulation tissue in just a couple of days of once or twice dabbing on the granulation. And it doesn't sting or burn at all! You only need to use it on days when granulation reappears. Stop using peroxide to clean the stoma as it increases the likelihood of granulation. Soap and water is faster and has just as much infection fighting power.

Lots more info on my website at Feeding Tubes

By now your PEG tract has healed, and I suggest that you ask to be switched to a McKee. There is no bumper on the outside, and they fit it to the depth of your tract, and there is a balloon inflated inside to keep it in place. We found that it allows thicker solutions, and has never even hinted at plugging. The only thing is that after Tim had his inserted he gained weight and it started to pull at the site when he was leaned forward. We actually did decrease his calorie intake and slowly brought his weight down as he was also having difficulty fitting in his chair. When the doctor told me to put weight on him I did it like I was in the Olympics and he gained 65lbs. He developed diabetes, and was having difficulty with yeast infections in any of his creases which he was developing nicely. We have him down 30lbs, and are holding it there.

But Greg is right that you probably need to pull the bumper away slightly to allow more air at it. I have found that if I put a pea size amount of polysporin around the tube before I put the gauze on also helps.

Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back