Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
NY
City
Williamsville
So I finally took the big step and applied for a disability retirement. For two years I've been totally focused on work/ making 30 years for a REAL retirement. Didn't make it. I've been teaching since I was 22. I think of myself as a teacher. How did everyone else find meaning in their lives after quitting their jobs? It's not at all the way I thought --I was going to sell real estate and take care of grandkids--now what? I watch tv? My kids are high school/ college age--they don't exactly need me to take care of them on a daily basis. I can't exactly volunteer to do much. Any advice?

Hi there, how are your hands, for typing?
In western Australia, through the state library, there are online tutors. I have to be honest, it's not something my kids have utilised, but may be worth looking into?
I worked at a primary school library before, I now go in for 1 1/2hrs each Wednesday to help. The lady I used to work with knows my limitations, and leaves me easy things to do. Not sure if that kind of thing is an option?
I used to love card making, still do. But now I buy everything precut and have changed to an easier way of gluing, more expensive naturally, but I can do it on my own, more importantly.
Haven't figured out how I could tap dance again...yet!
You are in my prayers for real solutions.
God bless, Janelle x

I think we all can relate to this issue. I am limited by my inability to speak legibly, I can still walk with a cane and walker, so I do as much as I can in the yard and have projects going in my garage, and office area
Watching TV, online activities including forums, selling an buying on eBay, and activities associated with grand kids make up my life.
I feel like I am useless and lazy, and compared to my previous life....I am all that. I have that burning desire to do more, but am limited to what and how much by uncle LOU.
It is amazing how fast the days go by, I sleep until 9 or 10 am an don't go to sleep until about 1-2am....I am addicted to late night TV.
It sucks....but it is what it is! It is hard for me to feel good about my days, when I am dragging this ball and chain around relentlessly.

Ok, mark. I googled uncle Lou because I didn't want to look as dumb as I feel with American lingo, but all I got was a fried chicken place in Memphis. Clearly not what you meant...?
J x

Cammarak, hope this doesn't sound hokie, but you WILL continue to be a teacher by the way you live your life now. You are role modeling positiveness, courage, and a zest for making the most of each day. Those are no small things. As a retired teacher, I still find ways to teach on a regular basis. If your ALS allows you, you can read during story time at the local library, mentor in classrooms, do children's story time at church, have your grandkids visit and do simple activities with them. What grandkids wouldn't love to create a volcano with you or make silly putty or paint monster toast with food colored milk and paint brushes---the list is endless. You can lead family gatherings by introducing topics to be shared- like what was the hardest thing you've ever done ? Or tell about a time you were really surprised.
As a teacher for so many years, you are loaded with ideas. Sure you will discover a million ways to tap that wealth of knowledge. It is true- A good teacher never stops teaching! Good luck in continuing to teach.

Ok, mark. I googled uncle Lou because I didn't want to look as dumb as I feel with American lingo, but all I got was a fried chicken place in Memphis. Clearly not what you meant...?
J x

Definition: Lou Gerigs Disease

I've had Bulbar PLS since 2003. My speech was the first to go. After 18 months most people could not understand me. I developed special analysis programs for a large electronics company. I still managed to work until 2009 but I had to assign a lot of tasks that required speech like training/presentations/travel to other people. PLS does change you especially if you can't talk. I have speech programs but it is not the same. I had to completely change my life. I was very active. I exercised almost everyday. I was on the board of several non-profits. I taught a robotics program at a local middle school. I had started a small consulting company before I got sick. I still have one customer. Now I read a lot of books (1-2 books a week) and watch a little more TV than I did before. I still have an interest in learning new things.

Thanks mark. Of course, I get it now...we don't refer to it as that here. Yes, it's official...dumb me:oops:

Yeah, everyone's saying they'll "keep me busy" but seriously everyone has a life to get to. I just keep thinking I'll be shut in--winters in Buffalo can be harsh and long-- for a lot of time alone. I already read a couple books a week, but holding them up gets tiring pretty quickly. I'm thinking of telling my neighbors to send all their kids here afterschool and I'll run a study group! Plus, my daughter's still in high school--maybe she has some dumb friends who need ELA help.

Cammarak, a foam wedge works really well to prop your book on so you don't have to hold them. Sounds like you are already brainstorming ways to feel like the old teacher you!

I find it easier to read eBooks. This works out well on many fronts. First it is easy to hold and to turn pages. I checkout books out of the local library over the internet on a PC or eBook reader. I have a sister out west and a sister down south both have good eBook libraries. I can checkout from 3 good libraries. I have a Barnes&Noble Nook HD+ but any tablet should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back