Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
mi
City
Novi
PWC users - do you have the adjustable seat height feature? I understand it is an option I can pay for out of pocket for the Quantum Q6. Pretty expensive addition, so I'm wondering if its worth it? If you also paid OOP for your feature too, did you negotiate the price of the add on?

3 wheel Scooter users - How hard is it to tip these puppies? I ride my on paved roads (subdivision, mall parking lots, etc) and I try to stay on the crest of the bank, but not always possible. Scared to death to ride on the bank of the road.......should I be?

Thanks as always for the input of the community!

Deb

Adjustable seat definitely worth it. Use it to help stand up, talk to people, pull up to bar. We are trying to get supplemental insurance to cover, but wc company will negotiate if I have to pay oop.

I am in the process of getting pwc , why doesn't insurance pay for the standing up part? Iam going to fight with insurance to try and get that included. Standing is an important part of living if u asked me. It probably won't do me any good but it might help others after me.

My insurance won't pay for it because its not medically supported. I can only have the features that are medically necessary. Needed (and got) fancy doctor language to support the need for the tilt feature - otherwise I would have been out of luck there. Every insurance is different, but UoM told me that none of them pay for seat height adjustment. If someone has a different story on insurance coverage, I'd love to hear it!

Deb

The lift feature is really useful. My bed is about 4 inches higher than my chair. Raising the chair makes it easier to do a lateral transfer. I modified my kitchen island so I pull in and raise the chair. It is better than pulling into the table. I was able to negotiate the price to around $1200. I have Medicare and private insurance.

Some of us did get insurance to pay, Deb. Tell the DME person/PT to write it up and submit the order. They might whine in advance because any denial is a couple of extra clicks. Make the plan deny it (but ideally work it out first so they don't). If you do not have a case manager, ask that one be identified and make the request of that person. Document need for standing transfers, increases safety while you still have that ability and delays the need for the lift. Also makes using desks/tables/counters safer due to decreased risk of objects falling on PALS. Include the documentation in the order that the PT writes or signs, that goes with the DME order form.

Also, I have heard that Permobil has comped it for some if you ask and have need. Not sure about Quantum, but I believe it is an ALSA sponsor also, so you could try.

my q6 sets a little to high for me.

Lgelb, that was a very informative answer. Thank you!

Does anyone have an answer to Deb's second question? Just how tipsy are these 3 wheeled scooters? How much of an angle (side of the road) berm can they handle for fear of toppling over? I'm also very curious.

Thanks, TB

Lgelb, that was a very informative answer. Thank you!

Does anyone have an answer to Deb's second question? Just how tipsy are these 3 wheeled scooters? How much of an angle (side of the road) berm can they handle for fear of toppling over? I'm also very curious.

Thanks, TB

Logic, would be that at speed of the trike, it would be pretty stable. The users weight is over the back wheels and creates even more stability. Uneven surfaces or hills would require a slower speed and a technique to keep from tipping. I sat on one a few months ago at the home med shop, and it seemed very stable. They are engineered to be as stable as possible.
I have extensive experience with trike motor cycles (3 different brands and about 20K miles) and it is all about slowing down for curves, especially if they are on an incline. Getting used to the dynamics of the machine is what it is all about.

I tipped over a 3 wheel travel scooter 3 times. Once when I made a sharp turn to avoid a void in the sidewalk. One was when I reached too far to one side and one was when I transferred from the car to the scooter. In general once you get use to it you shouldn't have a problem.

I agree with Bigmark. When we were first looking for a scooter, there was a few awesome 3 wheeler types that I could handle well. Pity, no room for the dog on those particular models, but would have been happy with a three wheeler, Deb.
God bless, Janelle x

Thanks all, for your very helpful comments! lgelb, you're was particularly valuable, thanks for writing. Billbell52, can you give me more details about how you negotiated a better price? I'm dealing with a tech employed with UoM, and they "pick" the chair I get from the vendor they chose.

Follow up on the scooter: My husband jumped on it and drove it all over our sub and the mall parking lot (which we live across from). He assures me I'm safe, as long as I don't try to take a corner too fast. I'm a cautious scooter driver. :)

Going through this myself right now. The chair they have recommended for me is made by Sunrise Medical out of California...it is the Quickie QM 710 model. I just went through two appts where they measure you for proper size chair. Then they go through the seating options, which mine is the Roho cushion because I've had skin breakdowns before. The back cushion that's right for you. Then mine will have the elevating feet, the recline back, the tilt seat and like you the elevating seat isn't covered. The insurance doesn't find that as medically necessary. They told me that option alone would be $2200.00 out of pocket, and with the other features I was looking at my out of pocket costs to be about $5500.00. I currently right now have a loaner from the MDA loan closet that has all these features, except the Roho seat, I love it...but of course it was donated to them from someone who had passed away and my only complaint is...it was made for a big man and the chair is huge or else I wouldn't need a new chair of my own. But with this loaner having the elevating feature, there's no way I wouldn't pay the extra for that feature. As far as a 3 wheeled scooter, I have 1 and I don't consider them safe at all. I don't have a van yet, so whenever we go somewhere I have to use the scooter and have dumped that thing over on it's side more times than I'd care to admit...don't get one, please.

You could try a few things to negotiate the price:

1. Tell them you have a loaner and unless they give you a better price on the lift feature you are going to continue using it.
2. See if you can negotiate a better price for a different PWC. It seems like preferred PWC around here is the Permobil M300. When I attend any event all I usually see is Permobil PWCs.
3. Negotiate with a different vendor. This is no different than buying a car.

Just let them know unless you get a better offer you are holding off. Generally at the end of the month or end of quarter they are more willing to negotiate.

>See if you can negotiate a better price for a different PWC. It seems like preferred PWC around here is the Permobil M300. When I attend any event all I usually see is Permobil PWCs.

>3. Negotiate with a different vendor. This is no different than buying a car.

>Just let them know unless you get a better offer you are holding off. Generally at the end of the month or end of quarter they are more willing to negotiate.

Ditto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back