06/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
How does everyone bathe?

I sit on a shower chair and use a hand shower to spray myself. My husband helps me wash my hair. But it's an awkward process and I think there must be a better way.

I can't stand up to take a shower. I have to use a grab bar to get into the tub and to get out. 'So humiliating! 'Something so simple and necessary for decent hygiene has become a chore.

Anne:(

Anne,is there any possibility of tearing out your tub and making it a walk in shower? So much safer.

Shower/commode chair in a roll-in shower with a hand wand.

>So humiliating! 'Something so simple and necessary for decent hygiene has become a chor

Ditto that! hair doesn't need brylcreme! a little dab'l do ya :)

Anne, I'm not at that stage yet, but we do seem to find new places all the time for handrails.
If it's attainable money wise, please do upgrade your bath to a shower. It's very worrying to read you get in and out of a tub. I have had a few minor falls recently, thinking of getting in and out of a bath, it would be very difficult without having to add in the worry of slipping.
The shower may give you the added dignity of needing less help?
God bless, and good luck with the decision making. Janelle x

I do all my husband's hygiene care. We have a bidet that he uses when he has a BM, while in a hygiene sling. We have a very good tilting commode/shower chair that I put him in on shower days and scrub his from top to bottom. We actually have a lot of fun and listen to some great music at the same time. It has never been a chore for me. Please try not to be humiliated, just think if the table was turned, would you do it for your husband?
Paulette

I have a walk in shower (its a double so hubby can take a shower too with his own shower head) and I sit on a shower chair. I can still wash my own hair if I lean my head forward, but sometimes I get too tired and my hubby does it. As for our tub, we built this house before I was diagnosed, but we had a jaccuzzi tub put in. I cannot get in and out by myself. The side is tall enough for me to sit on the edge and hubby will swing my legs up and around then help me down into the tub. But he has to get in the tub with me to lift me out of the tub, as I cannot get up from a sitting position that low down.

Its worth it to have a bathroom remodeling job done.

I had my jacuzzi tub replaced with a walk-in tub. Most of those have built in seats. I really like mine since the door opens outward. Only difficulty is washing private parts while sitting.

I had my jacuzzi tub replaced with a walk-in tub. Most of those have built in seats. I really like mine since the door opens outward. Only difficulty is washing private parts while sitting.

TB...do you get cold as you wait for the water to drain? I have talked about gettingone of those types of tubs, but hubby thinks I will get cold while the tub drains enough for me to get out and I do not do cold well.

AKMom, my friend returned her walk in tub after 4 days- because she froze while waiting for the draining. She lost several thousand dollars ! Be careful!

AKmom, my construction guy was clever enough to install an oversized drain pipe to my tub. It drains really fast. We also installed a heater/exhaust fan combo directly over the tub. I never get cold! The heater was recommended by my remodelor and it's a God send! Its made by Panasonic.

BTW, along with an oversized drain pipe, your walk in tub needs to have an upper drain vent which helps the water drain rapidly. Just like pouring gasoline from a gas can; it barely pours until you open the vent! Most higher end tubs have this. Check before buying. A quick drain tub along with a ceiling heater, it's heaven!

TB, your remodeler sounds like a god-send. How did you find such a gem?

Deb

Deb, email me...they work and live in Novi !

TB...sounds like your contractor knew what he was doing. It wont happen here if we do decide to do it, for a very long time. Someday we will remodel the master bedroom and bath and I will keep it in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back