Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
AUS
State
Western Australia
City
By the beach
I just fell again. I was in the bedroom. I have no idea what I tripped on. Next thing, my good arm is doing that attractive jiggly thing that we all seem to think will stop us going A over T.
I did fall, but onto the bed.

The other day I fell outside again, only this time onto the chair in front of me.

Every time I see my doctor he asks about falls. I definitely do not want to bore him with details. I just want to say "fell 3 times since last visit," if in fact they are counted as falls.

So...what constitutes a fall?

I really need to accept I have balance issues.:shock:

God bless, Janelle x

PS...DON'T fall!

I think you could count them as falls. You were lucky that the bed and chair were there. You could have hit concrete and injured yourself. My husband fell in the garage once and had to go to the emergency room. He only broke his nose but I couldn't tell if he hit his head or not.
Stay safe!

I think the type of fall that everyone is worried about is one where you injure yourself. You never seem to recover from those falls and things seem speed up after. Hope that helps.
Vincent

A fall is a fall regardless of what you land on and regardless of whether you need stitches or x-rays! If a doctor asks, he wants to know how unsteady you are, not how lucky you have been.

Janelle, in my opinion, a fall is a fall is a fall! Always! Any gravity induced motion resulting in an unintended body position constitutes a fall. (how's that for a non-dictionary description)?

A fall can cause your body to end up on a bed or a chair IF YOU ARE LUCKY! However, it sounds like it's only a matter of time before you fall onto some very hard surface with nothing to break your fall. You WILL either break bones, tear tendons or muscles, or perform the dreaded "face-plant"! The recuperation is painful and agonizing. You will then keep asking yourself what you could have differently to prevent the fall that you are dearly paying for, for a l-o-n-g time.

My balance is nonexistent. Zero, zilch, nadda. I can not even take one step without hanging on to something. I even fall sideways while using a rollator. Therefore, I have found to help avoid falling, it is imperative to CONCENTRATE 100% ON EACH AND EVERY STEP while keeping aware of your surroundings. I've found this to be my best tool in my bag.

I now use a PWC other than going to the bathroom at night (when I use the walker). Janelle, I do not want read one of your future posts telling us you fell and got hurt.

As Max says: Rule #1 - Don't fall

I ditto that with this:
Rule #2 - Don't fall
Rule #3 - Don't fall

Best, TB x

I trip, fall, have close calls...whatever they want to label it, I am always conscience about it now if I am out of my pwc. My last really big fall was in 2011 when I tumbled down a flight of stairs. I was lucky that I didn't break my neck, but I re-injured a hip that I broke in another fall in 2006. Now I have constant pain in that hip that reminds me not to fall and to not risk it by forcing myself to do something that I know I will most likely fall if I do.

It's difficult to do the things I enjoy doing (like cooking as an example) and not have the balance to move around the kitchen. I cannot cook while in my pwc, but I have a stool that is tall enough for me to cook and see things on the stove. Problem is that I have to reposition it depending on tasks and have had many close calls when getting off it. Thank the Lord I have sturdy counters to hang on too!

Hey AKmom, sounds like you learned the hard way. And you're absolutely correct...you must be very conscious about every step, 100% of the time! Sorry about your hip pain, but it just confirms what Janelle needs to practice before she has "the big one." Peace... TB

Concentration is the key for me to not fall. It is when I loose concentration, that I have falls.
I have learned to use door knobs, moldings, and even walls to keep me upright.
I tend to fall on concrete, so I rarely get lucky and have no damage when I fall.
I have had some pretty significant injuries falling, the worst being torn rotator cuffs because I always try and break the fall with my arms.
One thing is for sure......it always ruins my day when I fall, even when there is no damage.

Janelle, you are on the other side of the planet, so you were sleeping while your friends in the USA responded to your thread above. I think it becomes very obvious (from us professional "fallers") that CONCENTRATION on not falling is your answer! Please trust us on this (or find out the HARD way). Best, TB

>I think it becomes very obvious (from us professional "fallers") that CONCENTRATION on not falling is your answer!

rofl!

>I now use a PWC other than going to the bathroom at night (when I use the walker). Janelle, I do not want read one of your future posts telling us you fell and got hurt.

and some will say unforgiving jeers, too. no more sympathy. says me after 5 falls in 3-4 weeks :)

Concentration is so terribly important as everyone has pointed out but there comes a time when it is not enough and recognizing that point is crucial as well. When it becomes iffy to do something even when you are trying your hardest it is time to find another way. Only you and those around you know for sure when that is the case. If your family tells you they are worried listen please

Thank you everyone so very very much for your responses, that truly showed concern for someone that's words on a screen and a voice in your heads (according to me, you all have Aussie accents BTW). This forum truly helps...you all 'get it' about falling like others don't.
Your stories touched my heart, hopefully I will have none similar to share!
Recovering from a fall is not always physical, but always emotional...acceptance of my leg's failure to keep me upright is very difficult.
Thanks again, my beautiful friends.
God bless, Janelle x

Oh yes TB...VERY good non-dictionary description...you should get a job at websters!

Everyone, I must tell you I have been re reading your fall stories. The nose, the hip, the rotator cuff, face plants...yes I will be more careful.
Thanks again,
God bless, Janelle x

>acceptance of my leg's failure to keep me upright is very difficult.

IIWII ("It Is What It Is!") ... so use the chair! don't give in the hard way :-(

Fortunately my weakness is unilateral...so far. I do need an AFO, and I can't drive, would be lost without Henry and my stick. I have just bought a second hand travel scooter, as I'm finding the fatigue of walking getting unbearable.
My left side has never missed a beat. The bad thing about that is that it's very easy to forget what's happening to my right side. That's the only bad thing. I feel very blessed that my disability hasn't progressed to bilateral.
At the moment the MND expert in Sydney is noncommittal. Bring on September!
God bless, Janelle x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back