How do I know when its time? Walker to PWC transition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkcarl62

Distinguished member
Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
mi
City
Novi
Thanks in advance for your input!

So now, I'm paying a private trainer to work with me to keep my strength and mobility as good as it can be. But I can barely walk now. Going to the gym and moving from machine to machine with my walker is torture. I can still use my walker (rollator) around the house, but anything in public is a challenge bordering on dangerous.

I don't want to give up. How do I know when its in my best interest to do so? What tips the scale between walker/rollator and PWC? I hope its not a fall. I want to be as good as I can be, but I can't be unrealistic.

Deb

That's the trick. Not falling. If you think your ability to walk is so bad as to be close to falling, a pwc is probably the way to go. Falls can speed things up.It will make you way more mobile than you are at this point from the sound of things. And be careful with working too hard at the gym. that can speed things up as well.
Vincent

If you feel unsteady or that its dangerous, it is....use the chair. You will be safe, conserve energy, and be able to have more fun on outings!

Deb, with PLS you are not going to build your muscles back to what they once were. "Use them but don't abuse them". Does this personal trainer know anything about PLS? Your muscles are receiving a poor signal from the brain. That isn't going to change from working out. From what you've written you need to go into the "conservation mode" and not PT work outs. I felt really comfortable the couple times I have used a walker but I'm not ready to give into it yet, when the cane fails my current ability... I'll give in. Before the cane I fell three times. If you're going from machine to machine using a walker...

I guess I really have two issues: How much control do I have over my decline? I believe in use it or lose it, but I'm using it and losing it anyway. My trainer is very good, Al. He encourages me but never pushes. I've never been sore after a workout. I don't want to assume the effort is futile, quit, and then blame myself when I can no longer even stand up. Like you, I don't want to give in, but we don't have unlimited financial resources for me to keep spending on a program that doesn't seem to be working.

I agree that a PWC could open my world back up again. I avoid restaurants and other public places because of my poor walking ability. Its making our world pretty small. The money I'm spending on training could be put toward a wheelchair equipped van. We could travel again. We could go out and socialize again. But I am afraid of not being able to stand, transfer, get in/out of the shower, up and down off the toilet, etc. That will change our life a whole lot more then missing out on a few social events.

Deb

Putting aside the unanswered questions of "Use it or lose it" versus "Exercise hastens progression", there comes a point when refusing a wheelchair is not only impractical but unsafe and self-defeating. Using a wheelchair doesn't mean giving up walking completely and it doesn't mean giving in to the disease. Letting the disease limit your life too much, too soon, and cause dangerous falls is giving in to ALS!
The trick is to recognize the point at which you begin narrowing your life by refusing a wheelchair. That moment isn't as clear-cut as it sounds because we all tend to not want to recognize what is going on. Here is my list of subtle hints that it is time for a wheelchair:

When you limit your fluid intake because walking to the bathroom is so tiring and risky.
When you leave without going into a store because there is no parking space near the entrance.
When you pay outrageous prices for groceries at the Quick Mart because a trip through a real grocery store is so tiring you can barely make it back to your car.
When you have to use the curb cut outs anyway because a curb is a risky climb.
When you find your self making decisions on where to eat based on whether or not they have a drive-thru.
When a trip to the refrigerator or bathroom cannot be navigated during a commercial break.
When you regularly hear yourself saying "I'll just wait in the car".
When you stay home because you know your family will have more fun if you are not along to slow them down or limit where they can go.
When you sit through an entire half hour of "Saved By the Bell" because the TV remote is across the room.
The obvious: When you fall down even while wearing the ankle-foot orthosis (brace) made to keep you from tripping. If you fall while using a walker, it is a red alert to get a chair NOW. It will take months to get a power chair so if you want a power chair, get started on the ordering process yesterday!

Many people resist going to wheelchair use for a variety of reasons; it is embarrassing to be seen in one, it is giving in to ALS, their legs will lose whatever strength they have left. News Flash: You won't look half as pathetic in a wheelchair as you will sprawled on the floor after a fall, so get over it, suck it up, etc. Using a wheelchair gives you the mobility ALS is trying to rob you of so it is definitely not giving in, it is fighting back. Your legs may lose some strength but they will lose it anyway when (that is when not if) you are laid up after a fall. Broken bones, concussions, sprains and torn ligaments on top of ALS weakness are very disabling, and ALS people rarely get back to where they were before the injury.

conserve energy, don't fall

use the pwc!

Diane, your response was incredible helpful. Thank you for that. FYI, I have PLS, not ALS, but my decline has been swift. I'm seeing a PM&R doc on Mon and you can bet this will be my burning question to have answered - can my ability to walk be improved? If not, then I think my direction is clear. I wonder if I can still have physical therapy in a PWC?

Deb

You can continue with physical therapy once using a wheelchair. In fact it may be more important than ever in staying flexibile and preventing frozen joints. Sorry about the PLS/ALS terms. I just cut and pasted a section from my website ALS From Both Sides without thinking to change the term. There is so much overlap between PLS and ALS in care and equipment needs anyway!

Diane's response applies as much to PLS as to ALS.

I believe using a wheelchair can actually help you retain some use of your legs. Instead of unsafely attempting to walk places you shouldn't, you can concentrate on walking in safe places at times when you feel your best and pay the most attention.

Also, instead of finding yourself out and becoming very fatigued and stuck walking, you can use that wheelchair to increase your ability to interact and live.

You would have more time for exercises and PT if you weren't spending all your time walking for mundane things.

My decline in walking came quickly. I have Bulbar PLS so it starts with speech. My legs started giving me problems at 5 years. I went from a cane to rollator to scooter to PWC over a period of 18 months. My right leg got a lot weaker than my left so I was dragging it when using the rollator. This made me unstable. Also, when I did fall I was having a lot of trouble getting up. I was fearful of walking. I got a loaner PWC from MDA initially and finally got my own 2 years later. I feel safe now.

I also resisted a wheelchair, but when I finally got one, my world opened up to include a 30 day trip to the Mediterranean (27 days on a cruise) multiple trips to the Caribbean (with another plan to leave for 2 weeks starting TOMORROW! ), and cruises to the Panama and Hawaii. Getting a accessible van has opened up that I can go to doctor visits alone ( although the van has hand controls if my legs get too sluggish, I still am able to have enough reflex to stop, and I use cruise control a lot as my foot tires easily when pushing the accelerator for longer periods). I still prefer people going with me for shopping, as its easier. However there has been a couple times when no one was available to go with me, so I went to by myself and lined my chair up to the side of the basket and put my arm in the basket and pulled it along the side of me. Worked pretty well as I went during slow times at the store and people cleared the isles for me, with me apologizing, but them saying, no problem!

Before the chair, I fell so many times and broke my hip a couple times, no fun. In regards to using a power wheelchair, I would say use it or loose the opportunities to live life to the fullest with what you have. Because if you fall and break your hip like me, you will have to deal with pain the rest of your life!

AKmom, your trip sounds wonderful! My husband and I were both physically active and traveled a lot. Now we're becoming shut-in couch potatoes. I would love for us to be able to travel again. Billbell52, don't you have to have a diagnosis of MD to get a PWC from MDA?

Thanks all for your encouragement and bringing to light the advantages of a PWC.

Deb

Deb, I go to the MDA/ALS Clinic in Dallas. I am an MDA patient. I was referred to another neuro and I was not aware it was an MDA/ALS clinic. I am sure my neuro at the time thought I had ALS since I had a lot of muscle twitching. He didn't tell me but I am sure he suspected ALS. It sort of freaked me out when I first went because when I went to pay for the visit and they said MDA covered the portion that insurance didn't pay. That is when I knew I had something serious. I have been a patient at the clinic for 11 years.

Thanks for the info, Billbell52. I think ALS chapters have a similar type program with PWC, but I haven't checked into the details yet. You are getting great support from MDA. I am just being to realize how expensive PLS is going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back