Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
Has anyone had any luck getting Medicare to pay for a natural or organic formulary for the Peg tube. Has anyone ever used one? Ensure seems to be all chemicals and SUGAR! How can that be good for you?

You think Ensure has a lot of chemicals? Ahh... All food is made up of chemicals. See what is in broccoli.
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Broccoli, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt

It is commonly reported that heavier ALS patients live longer so a high carbohydrate diet is recommended. Breathing burns a lot of calories and as breathing deteriorates the person will require more and more carbs. Ensure is formulated to taste good enough to eat and that probably makes it more sugary than formulas, such as Jevity, which are just for feeding tubes. There are several formulas available, and if your doctor agrees that you will get the needed carbs and protein and fiber from an organic formula, Medicare will probably pay for it with a prescription.

Thanks for the info! It is the ALS clinic that told me to put Ensure in my Peg Tube! What does anyone else use?

I got the same information from my nutritionist at clinic, that one should only use prepared formulas in peg tubes. But as you, I researched and found only things like Boost and Ensure. Here's a link to a website of a woman who makes organic formulas. Another Social Worker told me she had worked with lots of patients who did their own formula in the blender, you just have to clean the tube more thoroughly.

Liquid Hope - Nutritional Information - functionalformularies.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back