Diagnosis
02/2005
Country
US
State
RI
City
warren
For the past 8 months my husband and I have planned to visit friends in Singapore, Cambodia, and Western Australia. MG’s PLS has progressed. He is walker dependent and extremely slow, and has resisted getting a wheelchair. He can eat but swallowing is slow. His speech varies but has been declining. We thought we would travel with a scooter but it is just to cumbersome to assemble and reassemble and takes up to much space in a car. A travel transport chair is an option but this puts him at the mercy of the pusher. At this point we are going to rent a wheelchair or mobility aid when we get to Singapore. We are intrigued with a new product The Zinger which is sort of a hybrid scooter wheelchair. One of the medical supply places in Singapore has one we can try. (Zingerchair.com is the website if people are curious). Anybody have an experience with this chair? We are taking a travel bed cane, repair kit for his Nitro Walker and have all our flights keyed into wheelchair conveyance. Given his progression, we have discussed whether we should be undertaking this trip at all. He still very much wants to go but knows that I will be doing the work. I want to go but also want him safe and able to enjoy himself. I as most caretakers, do the worrying for the both of us. I have picked places where friends can help and in Cambodia he will have an attendant and a wheelchair at the ready. I am just expressing my anxiety. So wish me luck and I will post a followup as our journey progresses

Wishing you a wonderful trip! It sounds like you have planned well.
I looked at the zingerchair and it looks like it has a place if you are only affected legs and bulbar. It says you need arm and hand strength on both sides to operate and you clearly need torso strength as it has no sides/ armrests but for some with PLS it might work well.

I hope you have a great adventure!

I watched the zinger video and it has a lot of merit, some great design. But I agree, if his arms are not strong it could be quite fatiguing to drive for long at a time, and he will want great torso strength as there is nothing giving support with no armrests on the sides at all. Also with no kind of attendant controls you would have to be careful venturing far if you are not sure his arms can handle the controls for long periods.

If you get to try that one in Singapore, please do let us know how you find it!

MG has good core strength and use of his arms. The zinger can have arms and also a power pushing handles as accessories. My concern is how well he is able to get in and out. I will definitely let the forum know.

Oh good, accessories to make it useful for more than failing legs is great.

Those standing transfers are very difficult :( thanks for sharing this.

Although the Zinger chair looks interesting I still like conventional controls and armrests. I was looking at ezlitecruiser .com. It is only a little heavier but has regular controls and armrests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back