State
GA
City
Atlanta
Four years to the day
Good clinic visit, but legs are going
I can see that it won't get any easier
But I have my inner strength....

Hang in there Gerry ... four years is a win by itself!

Ditto what Max said! Wow, four years and your legs are just now going--that is an accomplishment. Change always sucks with this disease, but that inner strength will go a long way towards keeping you going. We are always here...

Thanks guys"....means a lot

Gerry, don't give in as much as you can. As a Neuro told me after my diagnosis concerning PLS but with a different end twist,

"Use it, or lose it... sooner."

I hate a flight of stairs from the first one to the last one... just takes a little longer to get to the top. Fortunately, (for me) it's not painful... just a struggle.

Hang in there.

Hi ,the first few years are the hardest...it does not get easier but you learn to cope and get around things.
After 15yrs I still can walk a very short distance on good days but I know in the next few years that will no longer be the case .
Unlike Al ,I can not get up or down stairs at all but that's ok,thats what lifts are for lol.
As Al said you need to still try and walk as much as you can,i could have gone in a wheelchair fulltime years ago but kept going.
Chairs and scooters are great to get out and about....I love my scooter,got a new one in blue that goes 8mph...people who can walk are jealous lol.
I know how you feel Jerry,it is hard .
You know we are here for you if you want a chat or someone to listen.
(((hugs)))

ps...there are some I know in there 60's and 70's who have had pls for over 20yrs and can still walk a bit with aids.

I agree with all that has been replied. I am one who has struggled 22+ years and it took them 17 years to get the diagnosis correct. I think that might have played a roll in me still being able to walk very short distances. I didn't accept getting weaker as an option and tried harder to fight whatever was happening to my body. Yes I fell and injured myself more times then I can count, but I did all I could to keep my life moving. Now, I am only 55 and am just this past couple years been needing a pwc. As well as a stair lift since 2011. Falls on the stairs are not only painful, but dangerous even more so then regular falls, iMO.

That all said, keep on finding yourself things to do to keep yourself occupied and productive. This will help you use what you have plus feel good about your accomplishments. I know that an occasional feelings of being blue or weary can hit with this disease, but pushing through and adjusting quickly to losses to keep busy, helps me to overcome. Although a cruise to someplace tropical turns my blues around too. I am definitely needing one about now!

Hang in there Jerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back