Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
My arms are positively embarrassing. It happened overnight... Anyone else have dry skin - I know its nothing compared to the falls, insomnia, real symptoms but YuCk!

Anne

Think it's pretty common, especially this time of year when the air is dryer. I use lotion on my body, more accurately my aide does since I can't do my back or feet

Same here. It comes and goes, especially on the feet.

Same, mine is real bad in the winter, but I have it year round
Mike

Worse than the dry skin, I have some bizzarre rash which has kept me from my meds and my hot tub for two weeks while I took two rounds of steroids--after which it just came back immediately! So I resumed my meds and the use of the hot tub and I'm once again disgusting and dried out to boot! Is this somehow part of PLS? No one has any answers for me....

I know Chris had ALS, but I can report that his skin changed totally and he had a lot of issues with dry patches of skin that would become scabby and sore fast if I didn't keep putting on lanolin with cortisone in it. LOTS of PALS agree they have dry skin issues, so even if the neurologists don't know much about it, it seem it is connected.

tillie was talking about this not to long ago in a post. what she said made sense. i wish i could bring it up. i have been having dry skin on my head and face bad. never had that before. it seems like lotions are not working

tillie i did let them see that. im thinking just being indoor all the time is doing it. today we got a brake. we made it up in to the 40's the heat ant on as much.

I take Biotin for brittle nails, dry skin, and hair loss. You might see improvement upon trying.

We have been using eucerin in the tub or the generic equivalent. Walmart,cvs,walgreens all have them. It is very thick and best warmed in your hands then massaged in. It takes time to really get it in. It is good for the body but not the face. Eucerin makes different creams for the hands and face that we use .

Are you all having your liver enzymes checked regularly? Seeing the shape of my skin, my neuro sent me immediately to have that checked because of the potential damage to liver from rilutek and tizanidine. Just a thought!

good point Cammarak, though I would have expected your neuro had ordered regular LFT since you are on these meds.

My Chris was not on any meds at all so it was pure ALS wreaking more havoc.

He was also very prone to fungal skin infections.

Prior to ALS he never had a dry spot, never had any infections, his skin was amazing, very soft and he was such a good healer - he ran cafes and was always burning himself, and they would heal so fast, and out on the property any cut or scrape was gone in a flash.

Be sure you're not dehydrated.

For my husband, who has als, his liver enzymes are fine and he drinks a lot of fluids each day. His skin texture has changed and changes with progression. For him, he gets very dry with a fast period and his skin gets better with a slower period. He also has an odor from.sweat that is.much stronger in faster periods of progression . Weird things....no one can explain them but many here experience them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back