Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
PA, No longer live in ME
City
Pocono's
31 Oct, my last day of work, never thought I’d hear those words at least not for a long while, but I just can’t do it anymore. Feel I have become a danger to myself, but more importantly a danger and burden to my colleague’s. So the big question for those of you that have also stopped working, how do you spend your time. I like reading, so I’ll do some of that, there is always sport’s on the tube, but too much of that and I’ll start feeling guilty cause there should be something better to do. I like shooting pool, the break is out of the question, I was never very good at pool and with my coordination now I really suck. At one time enjoyed a nice exercise regime, but now just walking to the mailbox can be an effort. Thought about just drinking more, but I figure with the Baclofen I’d just fall asleep and I do enough of that already. Will have a “Honey do list”, but after a while she’ll run out of stuff to keep me busy. Like music, will listen to a bunch of that, but I generally like something to do while rocking out. So follow suffers of MND what do we all do for recreation?

Mike

I was retired 13 years before ALS, with just the occasional consultant work. It was five months before I took a deep breath and realized the lowered tension.

All retirees will tell you they don't know how they found the time to work.

I take a lot of naps, and watch a lot of tv, and go online while I'm on the peg.

> At one time enjoyed a nice exercise regime, but now just walking to the mailbox can be an effort.

Consider working out in the pool. Go in 2 - 3 times a week for some light water aerobics. A Physical Therapist can provide exercises tailored to your abilities. Or simply walk in the water.

Follow with some stretches / ROM work in the hot tub.

It's great to be able to walk (even if in the water).

Mikey.....You will adjust quickly, with very little boredom. Between Dr's, trips to the pharmacy, chores, reading and TV....you will be booked up.
I challenge myself with projects and an exercise regimen....and cherish my time with my granddaughters. I take them to movies and we go shopping at the dollar store. At this point those three little girls provide me with much needed inspiration.
I often over do it, but paying that price in no way is as detrimental to me as just sitting around and feeling like a gimp.
THIS mindset works for me, keeping busy and still pacing myself works for me. I know I am falling apart, it sometimes takes me all day to accomplish what I used to do in a few hours.
Find something that you like to do and make a hobby....Ok I 'll STFU>

My last day will be November 28th. Kind of felt weird giving my job away, but with the fatigue I am working till 5 and sleeping most of the evening. My wife and kids would like to see me awake at some point, so looks like I'm retiring at 50.
Vincent

>Ok I 'll STFU

hah!

Attachments

• 10372779_316121408548040_9147910348221509543_n.jpg
    10372779_316121408548040_9147910348221509543_n.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 293
>How insensitive of you Max......

that's how texans call 911

>Consider working out in the pool. Go in 2 - 3 times a week for some light water aerobics. A Physical Therapist can provide exercises tailored to your abilities. Or simply walk in the water.

Follow with some stretches / ROM work in the hot tub.

It's great to be able to walk (even if in the water).

I do this 5-6 days/week. Followed up by rest time. Fills time constructively and feels great.

I miss my old job dearly. But now Fridays are about the same as Mondays, early morning can really be anytime before noon, riding the mower isn't a Saturday chore anymore, hangovers can happen any morning of the week, shaving is no longer an every morning thing, deciding whether to go to Wal-Mart before or after your doctors appointment is sometimes frustrating, having the newspaper delivered again is something to look forward to... whenever you do get up, you get to go on your own commode and now diplomacy with others is an option.

You'll get used to it. Sometimes the wives struggle with it though. :)

PS. See, I've already forgot my diplomacy... make that "the spouses struggle with it though." (Maybe I don't miss the office so much after all.)

Last edited:
Al,
It almost sounds like you’re a teenager again; I have to be careful got into a lot of trouble living that life style. That’s how I ended up in the Navy; they won’t take me back so that leaves the street corner.

Mark/Max,
I think you both may be already heading for life on the street corner.

For those that suggested swimming, that sounds great but living in rural Maine, I think the closest indoor pool is about 40-50 minutes away. I’ll figure something out, maybe I’ll try that social networking thing out and open an account on that Book of Faces thing. Try to find some old Shipmates.

Mike

Do some things that keep your mind sharp - whether that is playing strategy games on the computer or using the vast wealth of the internet's resources to learn new things. If you like scifi, Baen has a program of free ebooks for people whose disability makes it hard to hold a book and turn pages, so when you get there your computer will suddenly turn into a library you can't read the entirety of if you tried.

Beky,
I do read a lot, mostly historical novels and I do use a an e-reader, my hands cramp up when reading a traditional book, then I end up dropping the book and losing my place. All very frustrating, e-reading is much easier and a lot less frustrating. I made the mistake of going with the Nook, should have gone with the Kindle.

Mike

>Mark/Max,
>I think you both may be already heading for life on the street corner.

low rent, high qual peerage :)

>I do read a lot, mostly historical novels and I do use a an e-reader, my hands cramp up when reading a traditional book, then I end up dropping the book and losing my place. All very frustrating, e-reading is much easier and a lot less frustrating. I made the mistake of going with the Nook, should have gone with the Kindle

why Kindle? I think I have one I can give you if the kids didn't get it already. Let me know.

We use Nook on out tablets & PCs, share our library and it works great. I use my iPad, Sandy her Samsung phone or tablet.

"Can't do paper anymore :-( ...

>I do read a lot, mostly historical novels

?Clavell?, Wilber Smith? Michner? Wouk? Uris? those are some of my favorites along with Steven Kink sprinkled in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back