Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
My voice is going
hard to clear my throat of phlegm both from my lungs and post nasal
Is that what happens ...do you finally stop up and then have to trach?

My voice is going
hard to clear my throat of phlegm both from my lungs and post nasal
Is that what happens ...do you finally stop up and then have to trach?

Wish that I knew the answers to your questions. I am going through pretty much what you described ...we have no choice but to roll with the punches. That being said....it is somewhat terrifying to ponder our futures.

My voice is gone, I have the same symptoms, I use cough assist to help clear my throat.

Janie

I think that is more of an issue with the diaphragm. Bulbar, to my understanding makes it hard to swallow and the speech is slurred. Soft voice comes from not being able to get enough air to actually project your voice, which is a function of the lungs

Lucky me, I have issues with both

My husband has bulbar onset but his diaphragm is mostly affected. He is still able to eat and drink regular food. His voice is quite hoarse and weak sounding. He can not project it. His cough is getting much weaker

Gooseberry, does your husband have PLS or ALS?

PS. I really wish in the list of "Forum Interest" there was a "I have been diagnosed with PLS."
When a PALS or CALS post here some discussions can get confusing. :)

Bad Balance, you should really take this question to your neuro. There's timing issues with having a trach and getting on a vent. Was that what you were referring too?

Do you have a cough assist?

Jerry,
You may want to ask for one of those Modify Barium Shallow Tests (watch out the white stuff tastes like crap). That will tell right where the problem is, mine was weakening of the throat and tongue muscles resulting in the inability to project my voice, slurred speech and some trouble swallowing. It is all so complex one part going bad effects so much more in ways you wouldn’t think. I agree with Mark on the future.

Mike

For some getting the phlegm "up and out" comes from the weakening/spasticity of the abdominal muscles and the internal and innermost intercostal muscles which greatly contribute to the "push" needed to clear the cog.

I have something going on in the back of my throat, it's like there is something missing between my nose and mouth, when I rince my mouth out after the nebulizer as much goes up my nose as in my mouth,can't blow out a candle unless I hold my nose, when I cough, I cough out of my nose and mouth.

Janie

I will be seeing my speech pathologist in a few weeks. I get this nasal speech from time to time. It feels like how you get at the end of a cold, but no cold or no allergies here. I'm thinking it's a weakening muscle of some sort. I've learned that we have many more muscles than I could of ever imagined. My speech started changing about 9 months ago. Started with hoarseness, then slower and slower. My swallowing is also being affected. This stuff is hard to accept. I recently read an article online about the soft palate being affected in motor neuron disease and this can cause nasal speech. I'll see what my appointment brings.

Once again, no two people seem to suffer the same symptoms. I have bulbar onset but can swallow and eat almost normally. My voice is essentially gone. People who know me well can understand a few words. I have trouble getting enough air through my vocal chords but don't have a breathing problem. Part of my difficulty seems to be paralysis or spasticity of the throat, lips, and facial muscles interfering with my ability to make certain sounds. It makes no sense to me that I can eat and drink but can't talk. I'm just grateful for the functions I've retained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back