Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
On Friday it will be one year since I had surgery to implant the Baclofen pump and catheter. All in all it has been very beneficial to me! After 3 months we were still working out the optimal dose, but once we found it, it went fine. I know when I need an increase as my legs and ankles start to get more spastic. My doctor tries a minimal increase first and then we wait and see what the outcome is. A few times I had to go back in after a week and have it increased again. It's all pretty seamless and takes just 15 minutes for this. I don't always need to see the doctor, as the clinic nurse can also do the increase. I've had 2 refills in a year so am still using a minimal amount of intrathecal Baclofen. I'm at 73 micrograms daily. I always have oral Baclofen on hand just in case the pump or catheter had a problem. The only issue I had was getting the pump to stay in place in it's little pocket of my abdominal muscle. It's been pretty good lately , but at times will protrude out a bit more than usual. I was so tired using 45 mg. of oral Baclofen prior to getting the pump and the spasticity was still quite bad. At that time I was working full time and look back now and wonder how I made it through the day. I quit working in December last year when I started having more falls and needed to use a walker as a cane was just not safe enough any longer. Being home now and moving at a pace that my body can handle is so much better! Take care - LouLou

>All in all it has been very beneficial to me!

great news, LouLou! I'm trying to cut my daily dose in 1/2 but more on that later.

My doctor is cutting my baclofen in half for a week and then a week without to try something else. All i have done since taking baclofen is gain weight and i am so tried i don't want to do anything.

Good luck to both of you with cutting back on your Baclofen dosage. Your body will tell you that you need more if the spasticity increases right away. It's hard to find the right balance with this stuff! I could not handle any more than the 45 mg/day. All I did was work and sleep. The tiredness I feel now is more physical than drug-induced. Happy with Pumpty Dumpty! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back