Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
PA, No longer live in ME
City
Pocono's
Do any of you get a feeling of apprehensiveness? I have days where I’m just waiting for the axe to fall, I know nothing is going on and things seem to be going good. I just have this strong sense of doom and gloom. Not depressed, not sure what it is or what causes it. It is not a new feeling, I would get it when I was a young Sailor and we were getting ready to have a uniform inspection and I knew I had not put the time into preparing my uniform and I was pretty sure I was going to get blasted by the Chief. I learned quickly and it has been many years since I felt like this. At least back then I knew why, now I have no idea. Maybe it has something to do with the EL?

Mike

>Every freaking day.....

Ditto that!

I believe in tomorrow (even though it never comes). I had a horrible situation that I considered hopeless, impossible to resolve and beyond hope... the next day (which was tomorrow before) something happened (not a miracle) I hadn't thought of that resolved the whole issue. Of course, that does not always happen but many times tomorrow brings us answers we can't find today. Even so... we all wonder and fret "what is going to blow up next" sometimes. My solution to those thoughts are, "Whatever... I'll handle it... somehow"

Know why? There is no other choice.

So... I go on to thinking about something else.

>So... I go on to thinking about something else.

Al, I knew you to be a great thinker, but now, ask we drift into the existential wonderland of our diminishing ALS sphere of existence, I expect pondering of greater and greater depth than 'one day at a time', iiwii, etc.

Plato time!

Yes...common for all

Mike, lexapro with a side of clonazapram helped my pals greatly. The anxiety and sleeplessness are greatly reduced.

Hi Mike,

When folks have been diagnosed with a rare disorder of the PLS ilk, the tendency is to wonder what's coming next.

It's a form of PTSD, I think.

Actually, I have found that where my focus is (that which I continually think on) that will dictate how anxious I will be about what is coming next.

That is why my attendance here is minimal. I have chosen to think on things that are good and uplifting and of a good report. Even though my everyday life is met with having to do things differently, I just focus on what I can do and am thankful I can do them. If I look at each day as an adventure, or a challenge to figure out how to get through it with what I have left. I find many little victories and blessings that excite me. Others may not see them, but I do and am thankful for each one.

Then on the days I discover a new weakness, at first reaction there is disappointment, but then there is a new challenge to get around the new obsticle the best I can. My mom used to say, "mind over matter" a lot. I am now understanding how strong our minds are. It may not change my circumstance of PLS, but it can change how successful I am despite PLS. Does that makes sense?

AK Mom
Makes total sense, as I come to grips with all this (which has taken much longer than I figured it would) MND stuff (and a lot harder). I found I was trying to adapt the disease to my life style and just go about my business like before and would get frustrated when I crashed and burned, which made me mad and not a very easy person to live with (poor wife). Over the past week or so, I’ve had a sea change and realized that I must adapt my life to the disease and live within my limits. It has lessened the stress some and is going to take a lot more work to make it the answer, but I think it is the answer.

Mike

Exactly Mike. One could think that we are giving in to the disease, yet we are not. Its just realizing the things we are no longer able to do and ask for help without stressing over it, as if it were a natural thing to do. Then doing all we can do with what we have left over and being grateful on both accounts. Like now when I cook the 1 meal of the day for my family, if I need a jar opened, I ask for help as I already know its impossible for me now to do that anymore. I learned the hard way ( ripping all the tendons in my thumb from trying hard to do it myself) but I have learned to live within the limits of my body and not to push the issues.

That said, lately I have found myself snapping at my family for over doing the helpfulness. Such as when I know I can do something, like helping carrying a couple lightweight bags of groceries into the house so not to put too much on another person, and they argue with me saying they do not want me to hurt myself, I really feel a bubbling anger rear its ugly head and will spill out my mouth in a raised voice that I am not useless nor am I stupid, I can and will do it!

I have many times felt the heap of coals on my head and gone back to apologize for snapping. I realize that they love me and do not like seeing me hurt, as I have done so many times by pushing myself when I didnt realize I had lost more strength in muscles that I hadn't thought of before. I ask my family to trust me when I say I can do something and let me do it while I still can. Then I have peace. PLS has helped make me humble and a more grateful person. I can now see the Word come true "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him and have been called according to his purpose"

Joyce

Joyce, I like your attitude there in your last paragraph. Through that one I've also learned to apply another one, 'for all things be thankful'. It's hard to find any thing to be thankful for with any mnd but applying the first makes the second possible

In such a weird way, a way without the right words and as Dalvin wrote, "for all things be thankful." Anyone with a MND such as PLS has to be thankful for the diagnosis they may have now. How can we say we're 'blessed' that it is not ALS (but we are... for now) without being kinda inconsiderate to those who have been diagnosed with ALS? We just lost Elaine to ALS. We will write about our difficulties, we'll write about our challenges. But... we, in that weird, without the right words, will be/are thankful. Regardless, we can never forget the difficulties and challenges others face to an end and will leave before us. 'Thanks' sure can be weirdly (again, words fail me) selfish sometimes... when you think about others.

AL,
Well said, people look at like I have two heads when I say I' lucky. The world we live in is so hard to explain.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back