Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
OR
City
Scio
Is anyone currently taking Gabapentin/Neurontin? Does it relieve symptoms? What adverse side effects have you noticed?

My most recent bloodwork showed a slightly elevated liver enzyme. I suspect this is because I have taken too many Vicodin (as many as three per week) during the past few months. My neuro recommended Gabapentin as a substitute for Tizanidine on a daily basis, as it is not metabolized by the liver. I have always understood that Gabapentin is a very strong drug with many unpleasant and dangerous side effects but agreed to try it. Advice anyone?

Oh wow! I've had Gabapentin for awhile now. I don't think of it as being that strong. It does help my pain but since I fell and broke my arm (humerus on the right side) it seems to help the pain in my arm much more than pain attributable to PLS. I have no side effecta from using it.

We are all different and have different reactions to drugs. I can't predict your reactions to Gabepentin but I have no problems.

Anne

I was on Gabapentin/Neurontin at one point, but it did nothing whatsoever for me.

The only drug I take now is Effexor for depression, but it is also great at reducing pain.

Jim

Was on Gabapentin/Neurontin for a while. Didn’t like the way it made me feel, goofy and tried, with no real effect. Give it a try if it works for you so much the better, if not bail on it.

Thanks, Anne, Jim, and Mike for your replies. I am going to try it, but if it creates the zombie effect, I will do something else.

Jim - That's wonderful that you are able to manage with only one medication. It seems that the more medications one takes, the more side effects. Then people add more pills to combat the side effects.

I have been on gabapentin on two different occasions in the past. The first time I was on it about 3 years. The dose kept having to go up to work the same as it did when I first started. Eventually I hit the max dose at the 2 year mark and that eventually stopped working. Coming off it was like a nightmare for me. The DT was horrible and if you go down too quickly, you can have seizures.

A couple years after stopping, the doc said to try it again. This time I got to the max dose within a year. I decided I might as well get off it again and not subject myself to the horrible DT ever again. I learned from that time forward, that I can tolerate living at a 5/6 pain scale without taking meds for it. For me, there is no such thing as pain free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back