Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
This past week I've been waking up with extreme dizziness. It is so bad that I avoid going to physical therapy. Does anyone else experience this?:(

>This past week I've been waking up with extreme dizziness.

not I -- wobbly, shakey, but not dizzy ... prob ought to see pcp ...

Agree with Max. Are you dehydrated maybe? Or new meds? But dizzy can be so many things. And be prepared to describe dizzy to your physician. Are you light headed? Or spinning? Off balance. An accurate description will help him or her figure it out

Hi Schmutz, if you are on an anti-hypertensive, be sure that you are not on TOO MUCH. This happened to me last summer: I had been over-prescribed a blood pressure med (too high a dosage). Ultimately, I ended up as an inpatient in a local hospital cardiac unit because I was having dizziness and syncope (and lots of both).

Or it may be something completely unrelated to ALS--like a simple inner ear infection. I'd start with PCP and then a review of meds.

No dizziness here, my med’s will cause me to dizzy at times mostly at night and then again in the AM due to taking the extra for sleep. I kind of chalk it up to being similar to a hangover that passes rather quickly in the AM.

Schmutz, if you discover it's not a medication problem try raising the head of your bed 6". You can get the 6" lifts at Walmart. Also, (with the lifts) put a big firm pillow or a folded blanket between the mattress and box springs at the head of the bed too. Then, you can put a pillow between the sheet and mattress, just below your butt, to keep you from sliding down. I sleep now pretty much sitting up and it has remedied several issues.

Tim has had dizziness lately, but it has been since his fall. There are crystals in your middle ear that can become dislodged and touch the hairs inside the middle ear making your brain think that the wrong way is up. As we age the fluid in our middle ear becomes thicker, and we have more crystals. Vertigo, or dizziness becomes increasingly more frequent as we age because of that, so while we were younger we could go on a swing, or do a somersault with no problem, but now would cause our head to spin. I get it quite frequently, especially if I have been on a bumpy ride, jump and land hard etc. If it continues see your doctor, and he/she can check if it is your B/P or medication, and if it isn't there is a medication that can help vertigo.

If you are feeling dizzy specifically in the morning, going from lying down to standing/sitting it could also be low blood sugar or blood pressure related.

Being less mobile can also cause circulation issues, which can lead to low body temperature. That can be enhanced after sleep.

But of course, it can be related to your medication and the dosage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back