Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
Gastricparesis is the inability or slowness of the stomach to empty after eating.
The causes can be a few things which include neurological deseases like Parkinsons and MS.
It can be caused by damage to the Vagus Nerve.

I started with this several years ago seemed to ease off but now its back .
I am crippled in pain a few hours after eating,feel nauseous all the time.
Also I have a long history of GORD/GERD which complicates things.
There is medication I have been on ,Gastric emptying meds and one to stop internal stomach muscle spasms which is the cause of the pain as the stomach muscles go into spasm from food stuck in the stomach.

As Parkinsons and MS both involve muscle spasticity and stiffness it seems there may be a connection with being prone to this condition with PLS or other UMN diseases .

I know I am further on in this disease than most here but was wondering if anyone else has had such problems...I do believe beckie I think has had such problems and is further along in progression.

You're correct Olly, I do. I had 2 years of unrelenting gastroparesis that was terrible. Nowadays mine behaves like more typical gastro - it comes and goes as the nerve ending connecting to the stomach muscles die and regenerate, so I have a good set of months and then a bad set.

My motility doc attributed it to the UMND, my neuro didn't. Where that leaves the truth, I don't know. One third of all cases of gastroparesis are idiopathic, another third are from diabetes, and every other known cause gets lumped into the other third. Other than knowing it isn't from diabetes, I guess I don't care which third I'm in.

Hi Caroline,

I don't have this problem, although I do have GERD. Sorry that I cannot be of more help here (you are always so very helpful to all us)!

Mike

Thanks Beky.
Yes it does come and go but about 3yrs ago it was really bad and i was in agony after eating...not as bad this time but i am more aware of the problem and trying to keep on top of it with meds and eating.

I was told to eat 6-8 small meals a day spaced out instead the usual 4...though i dont eat breakfast and only nibble on a night.
I do find its worse after my evening meal about 5.30/6.00 ,thats my largest meal so will cut that down and my lunch.

Olly, I have suffered from GERD for most of my life, and small meals are definitely helpful. You probably are already laying with your head and upper body elevated if not it is recommended, allowing gravity to help.

Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back