Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I almost died last night by swallowing a too large piece of hamburger steak.
I am pretty large at 215 lbs and my wife was not able to dislodge the blockage,
At first no air was possible, then I passed just enough air to not pass out.
Finally I was able to cough to no avail at first, but finally with uncontrollable flailing spastic limbs , I dislodged it after 5 minutes of hellish struggle.

Cut your portions with care....chew thoroughly

How scary -- I have that exact fear. Glad you got past it and thanks for the warning!

I had a similar experience. I do take care to chew thoroughly. I was chewing something (don't remember what it was). I accidentally swallowed it before I had finished chewing.

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago...it was pretty scary, and I was alone. I was eating some chille and wasn't paying attention to my chewing and swallowing. I don't know if it was a bean or a chunk of meat that I aspirated.
I panicked and was gasping for air, had thoughts of dying right there on my kitchen floor, for what seemed like an eternity.....but was in reality just 2-3 minutes. I stood up and started punching myself in the chest as hard as I could. I ended up dislodging the offending object.
For me swallowing has been worse with saliva and liquids, I have to be careful and not rush and chew my food well.

You can do the Heimlich maneuver on yourself by using the back of a chair.

Attachments

• Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    1.5 KB · Views: 356
Hope you went to emergency even after it cleared! Debris you can't feel could still be there and cause aspiration pneumonia. Last thing any PAL wants!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back