12/2010
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
SW
Hi to all,

Sorry if I'm going over old ground, but I am curious as to whether any of the PLSers here have tried marijuana (whether legally or illegally) for symptom control?

I'm sure there will be opinions (strong ones at that) on both sides of the issue. Therefore, I'm asking NOT about whether you feel marijuana should be legalized for medical purposes, but whether you've ever tried it -- in whatever form -- and it has helped in control of pain and spasticity (or other symptoms for that matter).

And, of course, my post is serious. :)

Thanks!

Mike

Hi, Mike --

>And, of course, my post is serious

there is a good write up on alsuntangled ...

Mike, your Thread is great but I think it puts some who might reply in sort of a box. (“Do I admit that I smoke pot?”) So, let me answer this way… Let’s say, hypothetically, a few months ago, someone offered me a hit off a doobie and I did. Let’s say, hypothetically, I ended up finishing the doobie. (It had been 40 years since I did a doobie.) Later, I felt the better I have felt in a long time. That night at home I watched a TV program about Einstein, never having any idea what E=MC2 means. Then it came to me… if you take a BB’s mass, times it’s acceleration it to the speed of light squared, when it hits any object it will have the energy of a huge atomic bomb. Like WOW! :) Ok, hypothetically, it made me think it works a hellava lot better than Baclofen.
But, unfortunately, I live in a very conservative county and community, the last thing I need is any legal encounters with our ultra conservative sheriff. Do I think it should be made available for medical purposes from my “hypothetical” reply, HELL YES… IT WORKS!

PS. My E=MC2 theory might be flawed but that’s what my stone came out with, hypothetically. :)

I am going to jump in here, but my PALS has ALS, rapid progression.

I love the hypothetical, so I'm just sayin hypothetically, then hoping for some answers to some hypothetical questions...

If my husband had been using mm, he would say that it gives his arms great relief - he has a lot of spasticity and frozen shoulders. He has aching or even pain in the shoulders most of the time, though he has been known to say - if I don't move anything it's ok ...

He would also say hypothetically that it just makes him feel 'happier'. We could have some great laughs about nonsense, as for a while he would feel better and his mind could just enjoy to wander with silly conversation, like what does E=MC2 really mean?

We would soon learn to put him in the manual wc or pwc first, so that I could transport him to his bed and hoist him in, thereby eliminating any standing transfers when one may or may not be more steady on their ALS feet.

Now for the question, I know this has been discussed but I'm too exhausted to search and IHavePLS has kindly started a thread I was thinking to start.

If smoking mm is no longer an option (say due to a recent aspiration pneumonia), does anyone have a recipe (with an indication of AMOUNTS if hypothetically there was access to good quality ingredients) to make something that can go down a peg?

I don't want to hijack the thread at all. In answering that question, maybe some idea of what kind of relief is being gained by doing something like this?

IHavePLS I think that all PALS should avoid taking their mm by smoking it. Firstly there is a far more prolonged effect by ingesting through the stomach, and secondly there is no smoke entering compromised lungs. For those still able to take things through the mouth, I'm hoping the recipe would be based on butter or something that could then be used to cook cookies or cake or make ice cream even. For peg needers, it would mixed with say a regular peg feed to add a nice component.

I hope this only adds to the information gained through this thread, rather than hijacking it to a side topic you didn't want to know about. If IHavePLS would rather I make this a second thread I am more than happy to do so. This is, hypothetically, an important conversation as western medicine can only offer so much ...

This is from a recent study on MM and MS

seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2023251814_mspotxml.html

Tillie, I loved the first part of your post as well. Very nice. Thank you. Where you ask whether your question is appropriate for this thread? Absolutely! I'm so glad you raised the issue -- THANK YOU for doing so. And I most sincerely hope that someone will give you a clear and creditable answer, too.

Clearwater, I loved your response. You are quite correct that responding does put one into a box...and that is quite sad, actually. I watched Sanjay Gupta on CNN as he experienced an 18 year old man with diaphragmatic spasms take a hit from a joint, and.....where the young man could barely speak (and was having severe pain) before consuming the pot, his spasms went away within seconds, and he immediately began to speak normally. What import does this have for those of us who experience spasm all day, every day, of our lives? For me, it the impact was enormous.

Again, Clearwater, your post was wonderful - it made my day absolutely! And I loved your E=Mc-squared interpretation, although I simply cannot confirm its accuracy. :)
Parenthetically, I happen to love physics, but I tend to stay on the NON-math end of physics -- I like the theory of black holes, speed of light, quantum mechanics, etc., etc. -- but I just don't get the math!

I'm not that smart.... :)

Mike

Max, so sorry that I did not address above, sir.....thank you for the site as well! :)

Mike

Hypothetically, what "dosage" do people recommend, assuming that one could use a vaporizer?

I have not tried it for relief but I am wondering if theoretically it is in my near future. I currently use 60 mg of baclofen per day and tramadol. I still have some days that that they just flat out don't get the job done.:(:(
I am rusty on my math but I have always found the study of quantum physicals interesting. In college I studied electrical engineering so I had some pretty cool classes on it.

The saying "comfortably numb" comes to mind. I've heard that it eases pain and allows a person to forget about things that may be bothering them. For many MND victims, ingestion may be optimal as breathing issues make it to harsh to use in smoking form.
Brownies and cookies are a good vehicle for ingestion......... however creative people will put it in suckers (lollipops) and other candy.
***Disclaimer: the above dynamics may cause you to gain weight via the phenomenon know as the "munchies".

FL passed a resolution to put MM on the ballot in November. I know our "wonderful "governor and state senate and state attorney are trying to block it because polls show a overwhelming support for it. Me and my husband are very excited about the prospect about legal mm for him!

he has tried a mm lollipop someone gave him once and it relaxed him but not much else. another time he tried a brownie--whoa! he was so stoned I couldn't stop laughing, but he felt fantastic!

>The saying "comfortably numb" comes to mind. I've heard that it eases pain and allows a person to forget about things that may be bothering them. For many MND victims, ingestion may be optimal as breathing issues make it to harsh to use in smoking form.
Brownies and cookies are a good vehicle for ingestion

Sounds good to me on all fronts. Time to move back to Colorado

During my 'hypothetical' experience I did not feel any return of strength or ability. Matter of fact, sitting in my chair watching the Einstein show that night I felt as heavy as a Lead Zeppelin. But... I really didn't give a dam. :) Beyond the physical relief... (I'll cross a border here) it seemed to clear my mind. I really 'got into' that Einstein show. :) That 'hypothetical' friend I mentioned earlier, who is my age and still rides his Harley (sold my last one 15 years ago) has stopped by again a week ago. I supplied the beer during our chat in the driveway. Sure was a nice visit. Later that night on TV I came to understand how the event horizon of a black hole regenerates information into radiation rather than just consuming it... to be forever lost. Like WOW! Before that night I could have gave a crap less about it. :) Gee... maybe I'm still stoned. :) Said all that to say this, if you have a secure source (out side of Colorado and Washington State) and a way to do it... try it. (What's the average price of houses in Colorado?)

>What's the average price of houses in Colorado?

about $200k more than here in Texas :)

How about a single wide? :)

PS. To all others... what I posted above was written in jest. But... it did bring considerable relief to 'my' symptoms, hypothetically. No one could say that it will work for everybody. It's a 'try and see' thing if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back