Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I do not have any stereotypical bulbar symptoms.
As spacity continues to worsen, should I expect my speech to also degrade?
I sound like a stroke victim and become tired from talking.

Any insight appreciated....thanks

I am going through the same thing Jerry. If I am the least bit tired ( which is mostly all the time ) my speech is significantly affected. My mouth feels weird - only description I can think of. I no longer speak on the telephone, cuz it's just too hard. Chewing is a challenge as well. My ALS started on left hand - not bulbar - but seems that my swallow is next. Right side and breathing fairly good - a blessing!

Hi jerry,i am more slurred when tired or physically fatigued.....this has not really changed much for past 6yrs or so.
My pronounciation of words has got a bit worse....like words not coming out right.
On the phone I have been told odd times I sound drunk when having a bad day with speech.
Speech problems in pls don't always end in total loss.....I think it would take years of weakness.

I sometimes slur. I don't usually realize it until someone asks me to repeat myself. Mostly I sound very hoard. And tend to run out of air in the middle of a sentence.
Chewing is tiring, talking is tiring. Not sure if all this is bulbar or what. Going to bring it up at my appt in two weeks.

Hi Jerry,

It seems that we all have similar symptoms (imagine that!)....I have difficulty speaking at times, and like others have said above, my speech also slows down, I can feel a clear difference (it's from spasticity) in my jaws, and it continuing to speak becomes hard work -- a "chore."

The chewing difficulty? Same thing, I think -- spasticity. And when it happens, I usually have to stop eating for a while. Remember when you were a kid, and you tried to chew 30 (+) pieces of bubble gum at one time? Well....the fatigue, tiredness, and discomfort in my jaws is exactly the same as that.

Mike

Dam....all of you guys sound like you have the same thing I have! I dread when the phone rings and I have to answer it.....have been asked a few times if I was drunk, that really pisses me off! My speech is intermittently bad, after I work out I can barely talk. Some days are worse than others. I think that losing my speech has been the most difficult thing so far, I can deal with the fatigue and balance issues....but I am always stressed about my inability to communicate.......drive up windows are a thing of my past-they hate me at those!

Speech issues and dragging my right leg were my early symptoms. It took about two years to get a diagnosis, and I think the reason I was diagnosed that promptly was a very young recent Harvard graduate who wasn't experienced enough to fear making a mistake interpreted my EMG. Also, I was tired and had a giggling fit when the Dept. Head was examining me which confirmed emotional liability. Now, 2.5 years after diagnosis, my speech is so bad only a very few people can understand me. I use a lap-top computer to communicate.

I have trouble chewing and, when eating anything juicy such as an orange, the juice squirts out of my mouth. If I take my time, I am still able to eat almost anything and am able to swallow large pills. I don't think there is a stereotypical bulbar presentation. As with all other aspects of this damn disease, each person seems to be affected differently.

Just about an hour ago I was trying to explain something to my husband and I was having difficulty getting the words to come out right. I have noticed this off and on for a few months now, but it seems to be happening more. I also listened to a recording of a message I left to a call back number and was quite saddened to hear how slow my voice is now. Through all of this, my biggest fear has been that of losing my voice. I am hoping this is not a quick progression. I will email my doctor to let him know as it's 2 months before my next check up. I am in a support group for ALS/PLS and 2 of the women cannot speak any longer, and the other is having more difficulty these days. They use their iPad and iPhone to communicate. I am so sorry others on this forum are having this issue. My heart is with you all. Many Blessings!
LouLou

Thanks folks.
I have a clinic visit Fri and will see what they say.
Resting and hoping my O2 has not gone down
I feel I have declined...4 years in now and so far PLS slow progression
We shall see

I too slow down in my speech and slur when tired. It use to be just when I got tired, but now its seems to be all the time. My family, bless their hearts, will tease me when I mispronounce. I do correct them at times and tell them they are being rude. But for the most part, they defend themselves and say they are just trying to understand what I am saying. I guess its the grin on their faces when they do it that makes me think they are mocking me.

One of the things I have not seen anyone here mention is, does anyone have problems with forgetting words? Like I have had this issue since I had a mini stroke back in 2006, but lately it is getting worse. Like calling a fork, a spoon. Or completely forgetting a word and trying to come up with it by using other words that just do not fit.

This is frustrating and I am slightly concerned, but nothing I can do about it. When I am on the computer and typing something where I forget a word, I use a search engine to find words by giving definitions.

Hadn't commented on this issue before because mine is bulbar onset so speech problems were to be expected. The issue with forgetting words tho is something I to struggle with. Have had situations where I'd call someone by name but need to write it down and couldn't remember what their name was. Even forgot my ex wife's name once. I think the issue with memory is probably fairly common

My symptoms started in my legs years ago, speech was the furthest thing from my mind. Now 5 years later at the advice of my neurologist I started a voice bank in my computer. When I first played back my first couple sentences I sounded drunk and drawn out. I could not believe it was my voice now. So I downloaded that Model Talker software to get my voice on record. I went through two different headsets trying to record the sentences, it does not understand what I'm saying. I also noticed now when I call somewhere that has the automated system that you have to say your birthday or something, it doesn't understand. I guess my point is that even if you think it will be awhile or your voice still sounds good to you in your head...don't wait too long to record it. I could tell I was straining to speak, slurred some words, and ran out of breath, but didn't realize I waited too long. I guess family and friends didn't want to point it out to me as another sign showing, but my neurologist said it was time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back