Diagnosis
02/2001
Country
US
State
KY
City
HARRODSBURG
I haven't been on here in quite awhile and wonder if there has been any change in VA's policy about PLS and disability eligibility?

not yet. wish they would though

No, and also no change with Army National Guard, without Title 10 Active Duty

Oops... went to mod. try this:
Search (using that famous 'G' engine!) for "sites (dot) that 'G' word (dot) com/site/veteranswithpls/ and it'll take you to the John Hopkins website with a link to the VA ruling. A positive ruling, it seems.

oh-for-2, but it's coming from Mod Land!

Last edited:
Short answer is yes the VA is approving PLS claims as ALS. I can PM you the name of a good attorney if your interested. I am currently on appeal with the BVA. Another board member here with PLS was granted benefits under ALS on appeal with the BVA.

Thank you! Definitely will have to explore this further. Will try to post updates. :)

I haven't been on here in quite awhile and wonder if there has been any change in VA's policy about PLS and disability eligibility?

Well Guys good news, After a 4 year battle with the VA over PLS VS ALS I won. The DAV and PVA would not help saying it could not be done. I did my research on virtually every appeal decision that was made regarding PLS. I took the approach as Johns Hopkins states it is the rarest form of ALS. Then I submitted the 3 best decisions where the Board of Appeals sided with the VET. I received 100% total and perm along with the add on for already having another disability rated at over 60%. They paid me back 4 years and 3309.00 a month. I already got my DOD ID card good for any military installation and it states indef in the expiration. My wife also received that and also champV medical care. It was a long and hard battle with not one person saying it could be done. However if you go to the Appeals website you will see that there are many cases of a veteran with PLS that won their cases. I found one in particular that linked to a case study regarding PLS and ALS. So in the end The VA ruled that I had PLS however PLS is indeed a type of ALS therefore they rated me 100% for ALS. A backwards way of getting there but I got it done. I did not even know I won till my wife called me and said there was one heck of a big deposit in the checking account the decision or rather book came a week later. Now for the bad news two weeks ago I had my routine Neuro check up, with a lot of testing prodding and poking and shocking and another brain MRI plus no less than a dozen or more test I had never had, and he diagnosed me with progressive ALS saying that the PLS progressed into ALS. PLS by no means is a walk in the park but I am finding out already ALS is a whole new challenge. So what was a good thing turned negative in a hurry. Fortunely the ALS foundation now has a clinic just 40 miles away so I do not have to drive almost a hundred miles to Johns Hopkins where I really did not like anyway. So good luck to all of you and I pray you do not have my misfortune. Dave [email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks, piperl4, for the update and so glad you were approved ......but..... sad to hear of the progression that we ALL fear. Stay strong and continue to fight it!

Dave,

Thanks for the update. Congratulations on your win! Sorry to hear about your current diagnosis. As you are probably already aware, I am in the same fight as you. My claim is in the "certification of appeal to BVA" stage. I have not received a docket number. I did reference BVA determination 10-34-323 in my appeal, two case studies and several medical references. Would you be willing to pm me your docket number and the other cases you referenced in your appeal? Including the one with the study linking PLS/ALS? I have been to the BVA "search decisions" web site but did not see that one.

Thanks

I have had a lot of request for information and Docket number. I never got that far and was settled at the local VA level. They were very clear they did not want this to get to the BVA level as it could start a firestorm. I think it was all in the wording and in proving to them that they had no rating for a person that was service connected for PLS and they had to rate them with ALS. Then using all the medical referances between ALS and PLS kind of backed them in a corner. But now that I have been diagnosed with full ALS I sure wish I had the PLS back. I am only in the first stages but already life has changed. They are talking about a feeding tube and how they do it and the resperator and if that does not scare you nothing will. I am already having nightmares about what is coming but guess I cannot change it. I guess that Is why I feel PLS patients need as much support as can be given as you never know when that first lower motor neuron dies and you start the path of ALS. Keep on fighting till the good lord takes you. RR hope it helps you, you can let the rest know there is no bullshit here.

Just FYI to everyone,

Piperl4/Dave sent me a copy of his award letter. It's very impressive and certainly a side of the VA I didn't think I would ever see.

Great job Dave and congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back