Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
Long before I was diagnosed with PLS - when this fun began - I experienced itchiness all over my body. 'Sometimes so severe it kept me from work. For a time it seemed to subside, but now its back.

Since I began reading posts here (about a month ago) I haven't seen any mention of this and I'm wondering ; Does anyone else deal with this?

One doctor gave me Lexapro to make it easier to ignore but now it's back with a vengeance. It seems like a silly thing to complain about. 'Just curious...

possibly lack of humidity. my skin does that in the winter when the air is drier. i just rub hand lotion in.

I have times when I have itchy, stinging, crawling sensations. My dr put me on gabapentin 300 mg 3 times a day. It has helped. I still have times where I have these sensations but they are manageable.

Vicki raises an excellent possibility about...do you have restless legs syndrome (RLS)? Is this the sensation of "itchiness" to which you are referring? If so, RLS can affect the arms and trunk as well as the legs (RLS affects the arms and trunk when the syndrome is in state of relatively more severe progression). I believe I also posted about RLS at one time - you might want to search those postings, just to see how others responded.

I have fairly severe and often unrelenting restless arms and legs -- although RLS these days affects my neck, shoulders, and arms about 90% of the time. I've also read that there seems to be a very high correlation between UNM disorders and RLS. This does not mean that UMN cause RLS (or vice versa), but that they are related.

I've had RLS since 2002 or so -- the itchy, creepy-crawly, electric feeling can be extremely uncomfortable as well -- it can occur during the day as well as at night (which is typical of "classic" RLS). To be honest, I'd much rather have controlled pain that RLS symptoms (RLS sx. tend to be much worse in my own circumstances). My version of RLS tends to be sporadic - it does disappear for as long as 2 weeks to a couple of months....but when it returns, it returns with a vengeance (I have used the term "vengeance" to describe reignition of symptoms -- just as you have above -- which makes me wonder if you are, in fact, referring to RLS). Your neurologist can treat RLS (or a sleep disorder doc).

I am on Requip (ropinorole) 2 mg. twice daily for RLS -- even though this is the highest dosage of Requip suggested, my RLS is not very well-controlled. About 1-2 years ago or so, the FDA approved Gabapentin for treatment of RLS (as Vicki says above); sinemet is also prescribed. There is also a relatively new medication for treatment of RLS -- called Neupro -- it is worn as a transdermal patch (I need to pursue this approach).

Hope this helps!

Mike

i sure have itched ...in fact i have, and i am sure you all have, had weird and wonderous sensations.......when you think that it is your nervous system that is effected , then no surprise that such things happen, i suppose.....johnny

I've had itches, and the feeling like my legs were getting bit by fire ants, or the creepy crawling feeling. It's interesting that they say I have no sensory involvement. Must be some kind of nerve firing gone wrong. I was on Lyrica for a bit and it helped with that feeling. Now I don't have it any more. I wonder if it is kind of the first line of symptoms when another section of nerves is being effected? Just a thought, nothing to back it up.

Thanks for the responses. I see the neuro today and I'll ask about Gabapentin...

Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back