Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
Through my gp I went to an appointment today to see about joining the muscle mobility/aqua aerobic class for the disabled at my local leisure pool centre.
Did a health questionnaire and other stuff.
My bp was low as usual..102/54.
Lost over an inch in height:shock:
Had to walk 8ft and back to chair to make sure I was ok to walk from changing room to pool without assistance....he was timing me
Said her heard my hip click at 14.? seconds,i said he had good hearing as I could not hear it.
So,i am good to go and start next Friday morning.....once a week for 1hr but could do Monday morning if I want as they do the class both days.
It is a very popular class and they have many go with a wide range of disabilities.
Not looking for a miracle just to help with circulation and maybe strengthen my core muscles.
Will let you know how I get on.:D

Will you be wearing a itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini?

Be careful - start slowly and have fun!

Will you be wearing a itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini?

Be careful - start slowly and have fun!

Hah! My experience was great -- no fears of falling in the pool!

Caroline, that sounds.like a wonderful idea. I wish they had something like that for us here. Please do let us know how it effects you!

No Elaine lol.....got a tankini,the two piece type with shorts.......covers you up more and is very comfy.
I'm in the grip of the menopause......hense my new avatar lol.

It is great exercise even if you have limited mobility. When I had my pool redone over and had dual handrails put in. I can't walk but I am able to transfer to the handrails and scoot backwards. My wife helps me with the first step. I use a vest for safety. I wall walk the pool, stretch my legs and do arm exercises. In the US all public pools need to have an ADA pool lift as of this year. I highly recommend using the pool for exercise. Use a vest for safety.

Well unfortunately due to a family illness(my mum) I was not able to go yesterday.
Also I have had severe 24/7 upper neck pain for nearly 4wks now......can't sleep too well because of it so seeing a doctor next week to see whats going on.
I am determined to try next week.....body permitting.

Caroline, so sorry you are suffering and I pray that your mum's health issues can be resolved. Take care dear one.

Ok,went to my first class yesterday...oh boy!
Even with my stick I barely made it to the changing rooms,spent yesterday afternoon in bed and today still in my pj's in the afternoon.

There were about 50 people there,a few young but mostly elderly .
The lady instructer was nice...a bit loopy but made it fun.
The exercises were simple enough....
Stretching up and down with arms and legs
Split into two groups walking round in a circle then changing direction.
There were exercises using one leg but had to use side to do them.
Jogging up and down but I could not doo that.
Rolling body round in water but could not do that either.
Using a long boyancey thing we had to do arm and leg resistance movements.

I thought I did well for my first go...as soon as I got out the pool it hit me ....legs rigid and screeming at me in pain.
It seems simple stuff in the water but its not especially with our condition.
After half an hour I was tired but old folk were doing more than me so I kept going....pride,denial or nieve or all three?

I am going to keep going but will do a lot less and build up slowly ...will take months to get to even as much as the oldies.
I do feel totally useless and discouraged..as always my body let me down.

But you did it! I'm envious. :mrgreen:

Elderly people out pace me everyday. It's funny actually - especially at the mall. Even my scooter is slower than theirs. And don't get me talking about their driving....:roll::roll::roll:

know what you mean bout the oldies. have a 92 year old neighbor that still climbs a ladder to clean his gutters. everybody holds their breath and prays he dont fall off.

I know how ya'll feel. We don't have a mall for the walkers but we have a walmart and boy them old people get to it. I am old but they are older and go faster than I do.

Olly, sorry it was so hard on you. I think pacing yourself and working up to it is a good idea. I always think I can do something but find out my body is the boss and lets me know it. :sad:

I would love to take Tim to the community pool, but it is too cold for even me to enjoy, and he would need a lift to get in. Don't give up! Make up your own routine, and do it for a shorter time. Is there a hot tub there? That might be a good thing to sit in after your exercise. And don't worry about being outdone by someone that is elderly. I don't have a thing wrong with me, and am considered quite athletic, and one night I decided to go play badminton and a man in his late eighties cleaned the floor with me. Just think of how good you are making them feel.

Hi Caroline, that's great you got to the pool, but please take it easy :), start slowly and build up,have fun! I'm going on holiday to Javea on Saturday with Cheryl and lots of friends to a villa with pool! I've not been in a pool for years and I'm scared but determined to get in there! Take care, Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back