Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Today I realized that I should no longer drive...
My legs are going on me
Wheelchair arrived and I hate it
I am becoming incontinent

All within the last 2 weeks

Perhaps with better sleep things will improve...I hope so
Right now I want to curl up and not come out....have to though or I pee in the bed...lol

Oh no! I feel awful for you - but I've also wondered if other people have periods of rapid decline.... like I've had.....

I have found that for me, physical therapy and walking a nearby high school track (once around is all I can do) seems to help my legs somewhat. My insurance won't pay for any more therapy this year - so I'll try doing some exercises at home.

I still drive - but only close to home. Any new surroundings can throw me off completely!
I take Detrol to help control my bladder...

It helps to have this place to come and "talk"about this.

With the general slow progression of PLS it is often difficult to detect changes. Then all of a sudden you realize that a lot has changed over a few months. I had the same thing my walking. Over 24 months I had a few problems with going down stairs, started using a cane, then walker, then scooter, then PWC or scooter. Hard pill to swallow.

I also gave up driving when I started using scooter. My reflexes were impacted and I no long felt safe. I could have extended my driving for another year or so by using hand controls but I realized I would be unsafe with reduced arm reflexes.

Can you elaborate on why you are unhappy with PWC?

With the bladder problem, I had to go to a catheter right away. After 2 1/2 months with a Foley and constant infections I went with a Supra Pubic one and it is working wonderfully. I can drink what I want when I want without worrying about where the bathrooms are or whether I'll have a flood.
As for the PWC practise makes for better driving. so hang in there.

Sorry to hear about your progression. :(

I do seem to notice the same thing with progression. I don't really notice the slow progression until I realize I can't do something anymore. I used to think it happened like bam, big change. But I've realized I'm able to ignore the slow progression until it really impacts me, or speeds up a little and I just can't brush it aside anymore.

I hope you get used to your WC, maybe it just has a learning curve before you become comfortable with it.

The wheelchair is a Permobil 300. Nothing wrong with it....just complaining.

The entire post should be moved to "Rants and Raves"

Hi jerry.
Sorry your having such a hard time of it,its ok to complain if your feeling really down.
I'm hoping your feeling a little better in your self.
I too am having difficult times.....if I did a thread on rant and raves it would be 50 pages long and david would close it before I got any replies lol.
We just have to brush ourselves down and get on with it.....can't do anything else.
BIG (((HUGS))) Jerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back