Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
How do you carry your stuff while in a wheelchair and you are out and about?

I posted something similar in "Tips and Tricks"

I have a small backpack that can either tuck in behind the rigidizer bar of my manual chair, with the straps slung like the posts are my shoulders, or can be slung on the arm of my power chair and fit between me and it, with the straps attaching it to to the arm. It is what Eagle Creek called a "travel bug" bag, though I looked and their current design is different than what I have. I picked it because it fits my speech netbook perfectly, with even an outside pocket that expands enough to force a trackball into.

I use scooters rather than a WC so my solutions won't apply to all. I find the handlebars extremely useful for carrying things. For example, on my Sundancer scooter I can put $100 worth of groceries mostly hanging from the bars in plastic grocery bags. Overflow goes on the deck and in my basket.

When I take my dog out for a run with my larger outdoor scooter, I sometimes slide the handle of my dog's retractable leash onto one of the bars . When I'm off on a nature hike I hang a small backpack from one of the bars with binoculars, camera and lunch.

I hope the current fad for the D-handles on scooters, so prevalent at the present time, disappears before I have to replace one. I rented one and find them clumsy to drive. The D-handles fill much of the space in front of you, the pull-style throttles are more awkward than the simple push levers on the regular steering bars but, worst of all, they won't let me carry a thing using the bars.

I created saddle bags that hang off the arms of my pwc. One is an open pocket with drink holder. The other is a closed flap so not to ne easily pick pocket if I have my laptop stored in it while traveling at the airports. I also had my fore arm crutch container, I used it mightily in the Mediterranean, but have since started using a simplistic velcos strap set up since I don't take the crutches very often anymore. You can see the pictures under my photos tab in my profile. The album is called "wheels".

Joyce - I sent you a PM. I have a question about the Mediteranean
Calypso.

Calypso, I do not see it in my que, so it must be in moderation. I think there is a certain amount of posting you have to do to get a private message through. You could friend me and be able to write on my profile page wall. Its up to you if your comfortable with that or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back