Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
'Saw my neurologist today He recommended trying this drug. 'Anyone have any experience with it? I noticed that Side Effects mentioned affecting balance. I don't need that...

Anne

Anne,

I think Ampyra is prescribed to treat walking problems in people diagnosed with M.S.

Ampyra works by blocking potassium channels -- located on the surface of the nerves -- that become exposed when the nerves' protective coating, myelin, is damaged in M.S.

Normally, potassium ions, which enable nerve impulses to flow along the nerve fibers, work through these channels. When the channels are exposed, however, potassium ions leak from them, interrupting the flow of nerve impulses.

By blocking the potassium channels and improving the conduction of nerve impulses, Ampyra increases communication between damaged nerve cells to improve nerve function.

Since this is about Potassium (K+1) ions blocking and, being M.S. classified as an auto-immune disorder that affects the Myelin stealth of the nerve cells whereas PLS, ALS and other MND is the dead of the Motor Neurons (whether these latter ones are auto-immune or not has yet to be determined) I am not sure how this drug could help you with PLS.

Although, I might be wrong or mistaken.

Why don't you ask your Neuro about Baclofen?

Regards,

Thanks for the reply. I tried Baclofen and it did nothing except knock me out.
I'm going to call the neuro tomorrow and ask about applying for the free trial. 'Trial should give me time to figure out if it helps.

@Anne,

Baclofen is dose dependent.
If you start at a high dose it's definitively going to knock you out.
You've got to start with the lowest possible dose and then start increasing it slowly to see how your body reacts to it, until you find a "happy medium" dose that works for you.

By the way, you wrote Ampyra has side effects, well there is no drug (O.T.C. or prescription) that doesn't have side effects.
In some people, drug side effects could be mild but in others, it could be life threatening.

Take care.

I agree with Carlos. Baclofen has to be stared low and slow. Also realize that you do not want all the spasticity completely gone because it helps to compensate for the weakness that happen with the muscles. Thus with hopes of being up right longer. So taking baclofen there still can be some spasticity, but its just not as strong than if you did not take anything. There is a degree of uncomfortableness that you learn to live with, at least this is what I have discovered. Otherwise, if I drug myself to be completely comfortable, I would turn to mush and basically go down hill from there. JMO

Perfectly described Joyce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back