Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Sugar Tree
Anyone know if Baclofen is helping them with PLS?

Anyone know if Baclofen is helping them with PLS?

Although, I do not have PLS but ALS, I've read that Baclofen is used to treat spasticity in the legs for PLS with successful results.
You may wanna check with your Neurologist to get a prescription.

Carlos

It seems to effect different people differently. For me, it reduces the spasticity enough to help me feel some what comfortable, but doesn't take.all spasticity away. I only take 40mg to 60 mg a day. Sometimes even less if I am having a pretty good.day. The baclfen is prescribed to 60mg per day. I find if I take that much in a day, I turn into a stiff marshmellow that sleeps all day...but I don't care.

Use the spasticity for good when possible, to retain nuclei mass. Otherwise, use baclofen for those reply Spastic times that you cannot get .up and move. Ask your doc! Good luck!

My mom has taken Baclofen for years for spasticity. I don't know how what her dosage is or has been. It helped to some extent but didn't always completely relieve it. Like Joyce said, sometimes her dosage made her very tired and she slept most of the day. Definitely ask your doctor about it.

I take 100 MG a day of baclofen. I have severe spasticity. But my spasticity changes from day to day. Weather in both extremes seems to make it much worse. If I don't take it my spasticity really kicks into high gear. Baclofen among other things have been very helpful to me. I don't ever remember a time when it made me tired. But everyone is different so u just have to experment with it to see what works for you.

I use it in various dosages. First it depends on your current condition and stiffness. When I used a walker I found a small dose helpful (10mg 2X a day). Any more than that caused my legs to be rubbery and I felt unsafe. I am now in a PWC and Baclofen really doesn't help during the day so I rarely take it. I have severe legs cramps at night so I take 40mg before bed. It reduces cramping significantly. I built up some tolerance to it so it does not make me as sleepy as it use to. Check out Zanaflex. Some people have better luck with it. You can combine Baclofen and Zanaflex.

Thanks for the tips. MD prescribed 10mg. Wanted me to take 1/2 tab three times a day for 2 wks and then one tab three times a day. I do not have the spasticity that bad right now. Should I just take when needed. I am having the grandchildren come in for a few days and do want to be alert and not sleepy. Can you just take as needed?

I take 130mlg a day and have to drink lots of coffee.
It's not a perfect drug says my neuro.

30 is a very low dose.

how you know you wont need it when your kids are there......if you can manage without permenantly then do so is my advice........johnny

Agree...if you don't have to don't. The chase for a correct dosage is endless. Then comes the pump discussion

Hi all,

I have Cerebral Palsy and lately(2-3 years), I've been getting these terrible frights and I wondered if Baclofen could help relax me and then decrease these frights?

Any more info needed, please shout.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Hi Kevin, it seems to me that you should talk with your doctor. Baclofen is not (at least to my knowledge) used for its calming effects -- but to reduce spasticity.

I take 80 mg. of baclofen a day, but I do find the need to adjust dosage occasionally -- i.e., I need SOME spasticity (tone) if I'm to stay upright.

BTW, my neuro say that baclofen lowers the seizure threshold, so persons with seizures should probably take tizanidine (Zanaflex) or valium instead.

Mike

Me personaly I only take it when I need it and I addjust the dose to that specific pain, if 10mg dosnt work then I try 20 and so on until the pain goes away. With limits of course. It seems the more I take it the more I need it.

Kevin:

Wrong forum Buddy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back