Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Watching my wheelchair vendor struggle to get the chair approved through medicare is quite frustrating. Apparently, even with an evaluation and script from my Doc, my strength remains too good to suit the evaluators.

Also, it s a bit like a car accident repair process where the insurance company takes control and you have trouble inserting yourself into the process. Staying abreast of the what is actually happening is neigh impossible. With the many steps and individuals involved, it is so easy for an individual case to get snagged or simply sit with no action for a while.

So far, I am only able to try to stay in the good graces of my vendor and try not to pester him too much.

<sigh>

I am so sorry you are having difficulty getting the chair. There is no excuse for the govt. to deny any ALS patient a wheelchair!
I am still jumping through hoops to get SSDI. I hope you get approved for your chair soon. I will say a special prayer for you.

bad balance maybe the secret is to fall a couple of times and fracture your ribs. that's what I did and got a chair. not intentional

You've got to tell them that your legs are very unreliable for walking and this has caused you several falls.
I know Medicare is very strict when it comes to approve the 80% of the funds they supply for a P.W.C. They even send you to a PT & OT for walking evaluation before approving the funds for the chair.

Good luck

Carlos

Since my first chair was mainly for traveling and for bad days when I was just too fatiged, I just went ahead and purchased my jimmie pwc without insurance, even though I had a prescription from the doc. The chair only cost me $1200 and I consider it my throw away chair. It still runs ok, but now that my needs are changing, I could use a new one. Our insurance at that time would only purchase one chair every 5 years. Now we have no insurance so I am out of luck.

Hope it all works out for you BB!

I got asessed for a wheelchair about 6yrs ago but they said no as i needed to keep walking.
Now i use my mobility scooter that i get through the motobility scheme here in the uk,so when my 3yrs are up next april i am thinking of getting a motorised chair instead so i can go on the bus ect.

@badbalance, Have you heard any news on the wheelchair?

They want more documentation.
My neuro returns mid month and will supply further info

BB, have no advice, but can commiserate. I started the wheelchair ordering process in mid-March. Just got a call to pay 'my portion' as they're finally placing the order. They say expect it in mid-August. Sigh. However, I've ordered it while still kind of mobile. My support group had said 'Order Early!' It was good advice. If I had 'really' needed it, I would have wasted a whole summer! I am so sorry for your troubles! Our ALS Assoc has some power wheelchairs they loan out. Perhaps that is something to check out - use a loaner until you can get yours.

Everyone else - please order early!

Yes Medicare

Thanks for replying.

They give patients hard time to get these P.W.C.
They told me that if I want they to pay the 80% they cover for a P.W.C. I must have NO mobility at all. They would even send me to see a P.T. and O.T. for a "walking" evaluation before releasing the funds.
I have the prescription for it given to me by the Nurse at the ALS Clinic but I can still barely walk with a walker but my legs are no longer very reliable for long walks.

That's why I loaned one from our Local Chapter of ALS Association until I can get my own.

Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back