Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Pierce
In the last month I have been having sciatica probably caused from sitting on my mobility scooter. I have tried stretching etc. Nothing seems to work. The sitting is killing me. Does anyone else suffer from this and how do I get rid of this?
Calypso

Hi,

You definitely are going to need a ROHO cushion on your Power Wheelchair to avoid these pressure sores.

NH

The only thing that worked for me is getting a good power wheelchair. I got an MDA loaner initially, Permobile C300. It had a 4" ROHO cushion. It tilts, feet extend and back reclines. When I am reading or watching TV I tilt it back and it relieves pressure on my back. I got my own Permobile M300 late last year. The loaner was a little small. Do you have a good bed. I found a good mattress helps a lot.

Mobility scooter seating isn't set up for or meant for using on a really constant basis. You don't necessarily need a Roho, but I'd start with cheaper but decent cushion - perhaps a Stimulite Sport?

I get pain in my hip that I broke years ago, then I reinjured it again about a year ago. When I sit in my jimmie pwc or my office chair, it pretty much pains me. I have bought several different kind of cushions, the latest being a gel filled one with memory foam. It does better than all the others so far. I think that the chair seat design is what will make the difference. I have found that I do better in a reclining position. My recliner is good for when I am not out and about. Then outside I have a camping recliner chair I us for outdoors. I wish I could afford a nice reclining pwc!

as ive stated i ruin lovely comfy chairs..cos am a dead weight sitting down and constantly ajusting my posture...cos sitting in one position is murder.....so it may not be just the wheelchair giving you grief......thats how i see your prob..but what do i know....johnny

as ive stated i ruin lovely comfy chairs..cos am a dead weight sitting down and constantly ajusting my posture...cos sitting in one position is murder.....so it may not be just the wheelchair giving you grief......thats how i see your prob..but what do i know....johnny

Thank you all for the ideas. I will definetly look into getting a cushion for my scooter. That is what I love about this board you always get good advice. I did not think about lack of cushion just thought it was because I sit so much. My mattress is fairly new so I cant blame it.
Thanks calypso

Have you tried taking the cushion out of your wheelchair and sitting on it that is what I have done for over two years and the nurse told me yesterday that I had no break down on skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back