I'm curious - does anyone use an inversion table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old dog

Distinguished member
Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
OR
City
Scio
This question came to mind because it seems that the majority of new members on the PLS side of this forum are quite young--some in late twenties and early thirties.

When my symptoms were just beginning to become disabling, I tried hanging upside down on my neighbor's inversion table to get a good stretch. Much to my great surprise, the results were wonderful! In addition to relieving pain in my back and shoulders, I could immediately walk better and my speech even improved. These benefits were not long lasting, but I often wonder if my progression would have been slower if I had done this type of stretching on a regular basis.

I have not been on the inversion table for quite some time because I now require assistance to use it. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and wonder if use of the inversion table might benefit our younger members who are agile enough to get on one on their own.

I think that an inversion table would be great for a LOT of things.....I have a friend who has neck problems and he gets great benefits from his inversion table.....If you think about it, straigtening your spine and letting the blood get in there delivering nutrients is great sounding. Standing constantly and having gravity compact your spine pinching nerves along your spinal column...no wonder you felt better, Old Dog after using an inversion table...makes sense...I never used one but have often thought about getting and using one....but I'm sure anyone of us neuro sufferers should ask our doctors first, though I think it's a great idea.....

By the time I tried one, my hips were bad enough that it wasn't a worthwhile tradeoff. I think it could be good earlier on, though.

I agree with Beky on this one. Too many problems with my his and knees now.

With my hypotention this would not be a good idea....i'd be sparked out as soon as i was up and standing.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I am fortunate (I guess) to have few health problems that are not PLS-related, so I would still use the inversion table if I could get on it. I'm short, so when the table is adjusted to my height, the clamps and supports for the feet are up high enough that I have to get on a stool and have someone hang onto me to get on it.

Using the inversion table obviously would not be a good idea for anyone who has a tendency to get light headed. A friend who is diabetic cannot use one. He feels like he might pass out when tipping only part way over.

I have high BP and just bending to try and sift kitty litter makes the room spin. I can't imagine what being upside down would do to me. The tit table test made me dizzy!

Only thing I've found that help me at all besides lots of drugs is walking--and can't even do that anymore--at least not well

They would'nt even dare put me on the tilt table,far too risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back