Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Harrisonburg
I've found that a Rollator walker is a valuable "work horse" for anyone that needs to use a walker. Unlike a metal walker, this walker device has a basket for carrying and storage, a seat if you need one (with the basket located underneath ) and bicycle handlebars and handle breaks. By moving the handle breaks down, the rollator stays put if you need it to. It's got 4 wheels and is easier to move along on flat surfaces and better than a 3-wheel walker on uneven or rough terrain.

I use mine mainly for transporting things like laundry baskets, food, (me), and anything from "point A to Point B".....I also use it to bring in groceries (you can bring in several bags at a time) and hold my gardening equipment (I use an older model for that) It's also collapsible and can fit in my car.....when clothes shopping you can just throw the clothes on it while you look around. It is invaluable to me.....I also have a 3 wheel walker that folds in half that I keep in my car right behind the driver's seat....it has a pouch and I use it to "run" in and out of places "quickly" or to pump gas. You must, however, be more careful using this on rocky or uneven ground...it's better on a flat surface. It's probably not advisable for a person with poor balance to use this one...I would reccommend a 4 wheeler for that.

The only time I use a metal walker is to go through snow until a path to my car is cleared in the snow for my rollator as rollators don't work well in snow over an inch or 2...but the benefitas far outweigh everything else.
For people that have to be careful NOT to move too fast then , of course, the standard metal walker is best for ultimate stability. You can find these in colorful prints as well...not just the dull aluminum color...

Thanks for the info.

Wondering what make your work horse rollator is.

I had a Hugo from the big store with the yellow. Smiley face. great to sit on to open the door to the fridge once that action starts to make you lose your balance. Just be smart about when to move on. It's still possible to fall while using them.

Our Rollator "Rolland," was a Godsend. I don't know how any pALS could do without one. I'm sad to say that we have no use for it now. :(

I found both my types (3 and 4 wheel)of rollators at my local medical supply store.....I don't know what brand they are but they are good and sturdy...they had several models down there and I picked the one I liked and they adjusted it for me as far as height. Places that sell them will fix them or adjust them if need be whenever you want them to. Yes, Momap53, if you don't have a steady, sturdy gate then you might want a metal one without the wheels. You'll know the type you need. As for me, I'm glad the brakes are right under where the handle bars are making braking easy.......I'm sorry, Cubcake, that y'all can't use one now...God Bless y'all...

I love mine. It's old now and beat up--but I love that it has a seat that and a bag beneath it to hold stuff--which is much better than the basket I think--because I can hide my purse in it and things that I don't want to have get wet in the rain.

The one like mine costs about $139 or so brand new. My 'new' one was stolen from the car, so I'm using the dead beat up one that has the torn seat and broken brakes. Got an RX for a new one from the doc--but haven't filled it yet.

I wouldn't even consider trying to be out and about without it--though with my very weak hands, I'm still a huge risk of falls--and very often my hands cramp so bad I can't use it at all.

I wish I could still use some of the pretty canes--for anyone using canes, though--be sure they do not have a wooden handle--they are very bad for the hands.

They even make a nice folding cane now with a rubberized handle. Wish they'd had those when I could still use a cane! I'm to the point that I use either a cane or an old style walker in the house and the rolling one or scooter when I'm out. O2 tanks are heavy on my weak arms so it's nice to have the bag to put it in when I do venture out of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back