Not open for further replies.

paul71

Country
US
State
WI
City
W
I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I'm in the diagnostic process, still working, but have been told that I definitely have UMN symptoms.

I am currently taking 4mg Tinazidine in the AM and at bedtime.

My question is, my leg tightness is progressing rapidly and is quite painful at times. I'm probably walking too much but I have to do this for my job. I tried yoga a couple months ago but I don't know if it was doing more harm than good. It seems that no matter how much I stretch, I can't stay "ahead" of the tightness. I wonder if I'm simply causing micro-tears in my muscle tissue and doing more harm than good.

Is there any way that stretching could be either bad or just a waste of energy? For a while I was stretching constantly but all it seemingly did was make my legs sore!

Hi Paul
I used to do yoga and found it to be helpful and really boosted my confidence. The type of yoga is important try restorative yoga. This is a gentle stretching and you work at your own level. Don't push yourself too hard that your legs are sore. You want to keep your muscles strong so I think gentle stretching is beneficial. I had to give up my yoga class since I could no longer get up off the floor by myself. I still get on the floor at home and use some of the yoga poses that are gentle on my legs. I have to pull myself up using the side of my bed.
Everyone progresses differently so keep moving and enjoy every activity you can!
Calypso

I found that for me stretching is a trade off. It does help with the spasticity, but because I lean so hard on the spasticity in lieu of actual strength, it weakens some of my daily activities. A PT can help with learning how this works for you, but the PT has to have SCI experience to be superlatively helpful.

umn stiffness is the pits....sit to long and your stiff as a board...standing....walking ..lying down....theres no escape ..but as toka says theres a trade off...exercise in moderation gives some good feelings ..but theres a price to pay..and its well worth the paying for the feel good factor...the price is more stiffness of course....or fill yourself with pills and become a zombie.....it is not going away sadly, so only one thing left to do..fight it....johnny

be sure you are getting good sleep each nite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back