Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
tx
City
Houston
It seems my previous thread on PLS and military veterans was removed so i'm opening a new one.

As some of you are aware there are a couple of us veterans with PLS on this forum that are fighting for benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). I have been fighting for almost 5 years. I have been denied twice and am currently schedualed for an appeals hearing with the Board of Veterans Affiars (BVA) on Oct. 29, 2012. This is the last step in the process. If I am denied again I will have to hire an attorney and sue the DVA which, could take years.

I would like to hear from anyone that would like to share any advise or stories about thier experiences with the DVA.

We are on the process, appealing because since my husband was ONLY Army Nat Guard, his active doesn't count. How long did it take to get your appeal date set.

My husband was army reserves.

We are on the process, appealing because since my husband was ONLY Army Nat Guard, his active doesn't count. How long did it take to get your appeal date set.

It took about a year and a half. I guess it really depends on how busy your regional office is. Here in Houston they are very back logged so appeal's can take between a year to a year and a half.

My husband was army reserves.

I was actually Marine Corps. Reserves but my unit was called to active duty during Operation Desert Storm. We were only on active duty for a little over three months when the war ended so I just barely qualifed as a veteran. They say you have to be on active duty for a minimum of 90 consecuative days during war time to qualify for veteran's benefits.

We are appealing on the grounds that the study the 90 day rule was based on says that it needs to be measured on years of contact with elements that may contribute to the hazards that may cause ALS. My husband also worked full time for the AMG, wearing a uniform every day for six years, and
having sufficient contact with hazards that DO cause ALS.

His was at the end of Vietnam. Never called up. But ...what if this mess is caused by all the vaccines they had to get. Wasn't like they could refuse. You never know......

Exactly. Sen John McCains office has told us that the only Hope We have is to get congress to change the law. We also have Sen Lisa Muroski, from Alaska helping us. Her cousin has ALS. Harry Reid, og Nevada, where I live actually was the lead on the ALS law, and after the election, I am hoping my contact from Alaska get me in contact with someone in Reid's office. The law has been revised once already, Compensation is now 100% instead of th original 30%. I have found several appeals of Guard members turned down. I am hoping my interpretation of the study may help.

If they could find out how many servicemen/woman (active duty or not) have this disease and it turned out non active members are higher risk to..wouldn't that get them closer to a reason. Seems like it would make sense to look into it.

My belief is they do know. By taking our benefits away, they saved themselves almost $500,000.

Well then...how would we go about finding out how many service people have mmd's. There must be a way.

Good question. I have found a few, problem is, with ALS, lifespan is short, and We would be looking for Widows, not PALS.

I strongly believe it had to do with all the vaccines we received. I remember getting over a dozen shots at one time and feeling completely sick afterward.

The VA is not going to take the time to research how many of us have PLS. That would just cause them time and money. We would have to figure out a way on our own.

It was the same thing with Agent Orange and PTSD. They deny it until most of the veterans are dead then they finally pass a regulation and pay off the remaining ones that are still alive with no retro pay. My father served two tours in Vietnam and came out totally screwed up in the head. He finally received benefits just a couple of months ago after they finally loosened up the regulations. He missed out on 40 years of retro pay (probably $500,000). The VA really knows how to play the game to thier advantage.

There is no doubt in my mind the VA will eventually grant benefits to PLS and MND veterans. It's just going to take a long time so that some of us will die off and they can save money.

It sad that veterans are treated this way yet congressmen only have to serve a four year term for them to get full benefits for the rest of thier lives. Must be nice to write the laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back