Still working possible benefits to help with bills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony82

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
california
City
santa maria
Hello All,

I'am a 29 years old with symptoms since 2008, ive recently got diagnosed with PLS at the Forbes Norris ALS/MDA clinic in San Francisco.

My question is Im having trouble keeping up with doctor bills, blood work, MRI, EKG,etc etc.
I still work full time(wheelchair) and im under my wifes insurance ppo 10% but it is still not enough to pay everthing. Is there any benefits that are out available for while im still working.

Also in about a year im thinking of going part time or even retiring. please help thank you :neutral:

Don't feel alone Toots. You might call ALSA and apply for a grant. It's not much but will help a little. Good luck!

Don't feel alone Toots. You might call ALSA and apply for a grant. It's not much but will help a little. Good luck!
i will have to check it out, Thank you.:D

With being diagnosed with ALS you automatically would be approved for your disability which would get you Medicare and then you can have your Doctor's office to refill with Medicare and they repaid mine. a lady I knew worked in the insurance office told me they would and they did. If you file for disability be sure you remember when you first started having a problem not when you when to the doctor it makes a difference.

He has PLS. I don't know if that will work for PLS.

You are right Ms Pie I didn't move my page all of the way to the right, PLS could be different

To get approved for SSDI, it'd be possible with it, but you'd need strong physician support. I believe PLS is still considered a MND, so you might contact the ALS association or MDA to see if they have any suggestions.

May I ask why you are considering retiring? I ask because at your age, it's unlikely you have enough work credits to get a very big check unless you have a really well paying job.

Sounds like your PLS progressed very quickly if you're in a wheelchair already. Are they still continuing to test because they suspect ALS rather than PLS?

Have you been to clinic at Forbes Norris yet? They have an excellent social worker there that can help you with all these concerns.

Get a second opinion from a doc willing to call it ALS.

This will let you automatically qualify for SS disability.

Now that you are diagnosed I think all the testing should subside. I never have any tests other than an emg every 5 years or so. You are young for PLS. I got it at 51. When you decide to retire it generally takes 4-5 months to get approved for SSDI. You get paid from when you apply. Your payment is based on how much you paid in so I expect you will not get much. Medicare starts 2 years after you applied. You don't mention your job but a lot of companies offer Long Term Disability Insurance. I signed up for it when I started and it has really helped. Most reputable doctors won't call PLS ALS so you can get Medicare right away. I am an MDA patient so MDA helps out a little with medical expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back