Uk
State
Wales
City
Kent
Hi,

I have some questions.

But first a brief history.

3yrs ago my right upper arm start to go into spasm, it would last a couple of minutes, was painful and then it went awa happend (x 4+ a day)

I saw a neurologist- he thought it was stress related (I am a Uni Student)
I had an MRI x 3 all have come back well they have been anirmalies but nothing they find ismcausing a problem.
I have a had 18+- blood tests all came back negative.

The symptoms got worse, he thought it was psych based.
I saw a shrink, and she could not find a psych cause.
I saw amdifferent neurologist he agreed it was not psych based.

They have queired, stiff persons, a few dystonias, morvans syndrom. Issacc syndrom3 and other variois other perphral neuropathies, and some channelopathies. But all the test for these have been fine I have a parent with MS diagosed a year go. I don't have PD, MG ceolica disease, lyme disease, meniere's or other common diseases.

I had an EMG recently and that showed some minor faciulations and something about a motor unit firing irregulally in my R Triceps. He was talking to some med students not me. He was not going to say what the problem was but he did confirm something was abnormal and is sending it to my regular neurologist. So who knows when I will find out.

Since I first started to notice my these problems the symtoms have evolved so to speak.

It moved to the left arm, then the hip and them the legs muscles. The upper limbs are worse. I also get chest muscle spasm in the intercostals muscles. I fall over way more frequently than I ever used to. The legs go into a spasm and the just give out on me or don't move so i fall flat on my face. I sometimes find it hard to lift my feet higher enough.

I have always been weak my whole life and my muscles have always fatigued quickly so i haven't noticed a decline particulary. My speech has become disgusting over the past couple of years. My articulation is pathetic. i often slur words or sounds. Sometimes I can prenounce a word that i have used many times properly. I have always just chalked this up to the fact that I spent two years visiting a speech path as a child (6yr) learn how to pronounce words properly so I figured I was just getting lazy or speeking to fast. I also get fasiculations.

The muscle spasm generally seem to follow movement. I had botox last year in the R TRICEPS, this worked for a while.

One of my parents is a GP so I tend to get away with knowing what the disease is and self anaylsing. I am also not one of those people who worries them self sick either.

Anyway I was recemtly reading about Primary lateral sclereosis and did notice some similarities. I know it is a very disease but so are hslf the other diseases they thought I had and similary the fact that I only 20 doesn't quite typical gere either but apprently age is not a discriminating factor.

So anyway after all that I have a few questions

Does any of that sound familiar to PLS in your opinion?
When you were getting diagnosed did the mention any other possible disease that caused the spasticity and weakness?
What do the EMG for PSL usually show?

Thank you for your time, have a great day

=)

pls is so rare it may not even exist......johnny

Hi Johnny,

Just curious, why do you say PLS is so rare and might not exist? I thought if there is damage to the upper motor neurons that could be PLS instead of ALS? no?
CC

It's interesting that you've had some of these symptoms your whole life. In my case, they're investigating something called mitochondrial myopathy. One of the things about it is very slow progression. Not suggesting you have this. That's for your doctors to narrow donw, but it could be something to ask about. It, too, is extremely rare though.

Welcome back.

Forgive me, but I as I recall, your questions were answered back in August by way of your previous threads. Please, ask questions to your parent the GP. He/she will surely provide you with the best information available.

To be honest; all of these diseases (ALS, PLS, MD and others under the MDA umbrella) are supposed to be rare. In my area, a town of about 30,000, there are 4 diagnosed. Go figure.

Good catch, Ottawa. Wasn't aware of their previous post.

Confused this person only registed at the last day of august

jersey....upper motor damage is not pls....pls is a desease of brain or spine or both.....except the neoros dont even know if its a desease ..or what it is....umn ..s are effected in loads of conditions like stroke ms tumur in spine drugs and so on...pls is a dix of exclusion,,except excluding everything is extremely difficult...als becomes obvious unfortunately in a short time...pls often never....so some experts dont give credence to the pls dix..johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back