Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Aumsville
Just saw my PT, she did a test on how fast and stable I walk, It is now documented in my chart I am a fall risk and unstable, she knew it, just had never documented it with a test. Things that are very obvious to see are not always obvious to read.
Hopefully that will help, I applied for SSDI last week and have stopped looking for job I could do from a w/c. If I am honest with myself I no longer have the energy to do an 8 hr day. That was a very hard thin to admit.
Just wanted to vent, I read a lot just dont post often.

Hi Nancy,
I'm sorry you're in this predicament. I hope you find great relief in not worrying about looking for and finding a job. Yasmin.

Hello Nancy and sorry about you having to stop working.That's a tough thing to accept - we're all so wrapped up, these days, in what we do. It will be an adjustment for you. On the bright side, since you're a nurse, maybe you will have time to post good advice for us non-medical folks.

I wish you well and look forward to your insight in the years ahead.

Sorry Nancy but agree with Ottawa girl and look forward to your help and support.

Nancy, obviously you work as a nurse and have had to accept a very hard fact. I am 5 weeks into the same realization. My ability to communicate is compromised and I can not longer work as Mental Health Director in a large Texas agency because I can no longer public speak. I am a psychotherapist by trade. For a nurse not to be steady on her feet and a therapist not being able to talk, what part of unfair is this? Your knowlegde will never leave you but life for many of us on this forum has changed. Just take one day at a time, don't make self judgements and learn to live each day at a time. I am practicing just this also. Let me know when you get your benefits in place. I am in the same process. Take care. Sending a big hug. Jamiem

Hi Nancy,

Sorry that you had to stop working. I stopped in January due to balance issues. I was more of a fall risk than my resident's. I could no longer help them to the bathroom or run to codes so I new it was time to stop working.

Oh Cindy, I am so glad you are here for Nancy. Both of you have had to adjust I am sure. Nurses are such giving people (caretakers). It is a transition.

I am a pediatric nurse, have been for 25 years, at the same hospital for 34 years. My husband saies being a nurse is not what I do it is what I am. I agree with him.

I agree with that statement Nancy. Most of my career has been in LTC with some CCU. I was in the process of getting my geriatric nurse practitioner, getting ready to start clinical when the diagnoses came.

Oh Nancy, I am so sorry you had to give up your dream of becoming a nurse practitioner. This disease is so unfair.

Forced retirement was a tough pill for my husband to swallow. Nancy and Cindy, just know that your expertise is always needed here!

Nancy we have all had the same feelings you are feeling so vent away. This forum is the perfect place to do it. Give yourself some time. Your life will even out after you adjust to not working.

I admire anyone who is in healthcare for a living. I would NEVER make a good nurse, this I know. Once, after my husband had his back operated on and the dog was at the vets within a day of his coming home, I was running up the steps with my husbands meds and happened to notice the "green dog" on the lid of the bottle. After my panic subsided, I counted in my head that I had been giving my husband the dogs meds and the dog my husbands meds for three days. I had to call the vet and call my husbands doc. What an idiot. Thank goodness no harm done...Needless to say I didn't confess this one for a LONG time after the fact:)

I admire anyone who is in healthcare for a living. I would NEVER make a good nurse, this I know. Once, after my husband had his back operated on and the dog was at the vets within a day of his coming home, I was running up the steps with my husbands meds and happened to notice the "green dog" on the lid of the bottle. After my panic subsided, I counted in my head that I had been giving my husband the dogs meds and the dog my husbands meds for three days. I had to call the vet and call my husbands doc. What an idiot. Thank goodness no harm done...Needless to say I didn't confess this one for a LONG time after the fact:)

Hahaha
That is funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back