Diagnosis
05/2007
Country
US
State
TN
City
Morristown
I was so happy to find this forum, I joined immediately. I have had PLS for about 3 years now. It seems to have progressed pretty quick due to the fact I'm already in a chair, trouble speaking, drooling at times, swallowing, dropping things, and within the last few weeks uncontrollable laughter (which I think is hilarious) a few would disagree I'm sure but, with all that said I still love life and trying to make the best out of it.
Is there anyone else in here who symptoms has progressed this quick?

Welcome to the MND forum Willy! There are a lot of great people here. MND seems to get only the best. You'll fit right in.

Welcome Willy

Welcome Willy! Best group of people ever!

Jen

Willy, welcome. It is your sense of humor that will be your sanity. If you think laughing is hilarious I do too. I cry uncontrollably which is not hilarious. We are all a team on this forum. WELCOME. Jamiem

Welcome Willy. I love people who laugh:)

Welcome Willy. You will find this forum so helpful Remember you can search a topic on this forum if there is something specific you are wanting to know more about. I have done this many times. I've had symptoms for three years now. I walk with the aid of a cane. Just recently my hands have started to have issues (Fist clenching at night) and both hands are weaker. I've dropped a few plates of food due to this.

I look forward to getting to know you better. Many blessings to you as you deal with all the changes this health issue brings.

LouLou

Welcome to a wonderful group (family) and we welcome your humor.

Welcome to the club! We have a vigorous membership despite an overall lack of volunteers.. funny that.

I find the crying bit the worst when I'm trying to read. There I am, innocently trying to scroll through a sci fi novel and read more about the details of Planet Zu, and all this water gets in the way!

Welcome aboard Willy! Lots of great info here and great folks to share with.

Have you considered Neudexta to help combat the emotional lability? Check out a new Clinical Trial underway to see if this new drug helps with some of the other bulbar issues as well.

Welcome to the forum, what took you so long... need I say it? "A funny thing happened on the way to the forum..." (sorry folks...) :)

Welcome, Willy. Sorry you have to be here. The people here are not only compassionate but are a better source of information than the doctors in most instances.

In answer to your question I share your symptoms, including uncontrollable laughter. To make matters worse, I have chronic sinusitis so when I laugh I bray like a donkey! I still suspect my problems were triggered by a severe bout of flu. I realize now that I have had minor symptoms for years but nothing disabiling until after the flu in 2009. I was finally diagnosed in 2011. My voice and right leg were the first to go. I am now starting to lose fine motor skills. Swallowing isn't a major problem--excessive saliva and drooling is. I'm still walking with a rolling walker but mighty slow. Sounds like we are progressing at about the same rate. My theory is that the weakest parts of the body or parts that have been injured are affected first.

Good luck and keep your sense of humor.

Old dog, I think your theory about the weakest part of the body is right. I also think that mine was triggered by a virus.

Welcome to the group Willy.

Welcome, Will!

From my lowly and humble perspective.. I need to tell you that I l adore PLSers who laugh just as much as those who cry uncontrollably. I wish I was one of them....I'd rather be laughing than crying.

Those of us "cry babies" weep NOT for emotional reasons by any means -- we cry for the VERY SAME reasons that you laugh uncontrollably. What are those reasons? No one knows - excepting God in His infinite wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back