08/2006
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Osprey
Hello outhere,

My Neurologist has suggested a baclofen pump to help reduce my spasticity. Has anyone had this device installed? How do you feel about this treatment? Any comments: negative or positive will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Raymond B

I use Baclofen but just the pills. Haven't heard of any one with a pump though. Does Ins. pay for it. An insulin pump is about 4K so is this one as expensive and is it better than taking pills orally?
AL.

Al said:
I use Baclofen but just the pills. Haven't heard of any one with a pump though. Does Ins. pay for it. An insulin pump is about 4K so is this one as expensive and is it better than taking pills orally?
AL.
Good Morning Al,

I am not sure of the cost yet, however, I am pretty sure it is covered by my policy. (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida).

I had taken the pill orally but had some bad side effects...primarily I could not stay awake at all. "They" say that the pump delivers micro drops directly into the spinedoes not have the same side effects, and that it has proven to be extremely successful in a major percentage of people with a high degree of spasticity.

I will have an 8 hour test prior to the insertion of this device. This will show the degree to which it might be helpful. There are some potential side effects of different degrees.

I am hopeful that someone in the Forum has tried / and/or is using this treatment. I'd like to hear first hand about some actual experiences.

I'll keep you posted as to my progress in this venue. Also, it is certain that this treatment will not cure or stop the progression of the disease. If tolerated the dosage can be increased to deal with the spasticity as the disease progresses.

Here's hoping.

Raymond B.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it could be a good alternative.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back