Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
This past week I have experienced something new. At night I wake up with one or both of my hands clenched in a tight fist and when I open it (them) a spasm begins. This lasts just a few seconds. Do any of you experience this? I'm worried that the PLS has spread into my hands. Most of my problems have been in my legs prior to this and some spasms throughout the rest of my body. I have an email into my neurologist.

I look forward to hearing from you.

LouLou

I started getting hand cramps a few years ago. Mine would happen anytime I would try and use sissors to cut with or a knife. My fingers started to curl about that time too and my hands got weak to the point of not being able to open jars and such, even if they were already opened before. Now my hands do not cramp as much but they stay tight with the fingers curled and the hand curled at the wrist . I have to counter this at times with wrists braces. My hands and wrist are painful to move and use. I do physical therapy with them by stretching and moving them around. I have to be careful as I have tendencies to tear ligaments if I am not careful. It really is a pain.

Thanks Joyce. I haven't had problems with scissors or cutting yet. I've noticed at work when I reach for my phone, my wrist starts to shake a bit. Like I said, most of this is happening at night and today my wrists and hands were a bit sore. Advil seemed to help.

I should hear from my doctor within the next few days, so we'll see what he says.

Many blessings to you Joyce. I enjoy reading your posts. Most of them are very inspirational and I can tell that you are a strong and determined woman.

LouLou

This past week I have experienced something new. At night I wake up with one or both of my hands clenched in a tight fist and when I open it (them) a spasm begins. This lasts just a few seconds. Do any of you experience this? I'm worried that the PLS has spread into my hands. Most of my problems have been in my legs prior to this and some spasms throughout the rest of my body. I have an email into my neurologist.

I look forward to hearing from you.

LouLou

Sorry LouLou but from what I have read and seen PLS and ALS attack all voluntary muscle groups. I believe you are experiencing the next phase of your disease.

I will put you in my prayer list if you want me to.
Brother
Rock

My hands spasm into contorted positions when I use them for things
Ike holding a pen, book, eating, etc.

The only time they don't do it is when I use the iPad with it sitting on my lap and use just fingers. I have to stretch them out very often to keep the cramps and spasms at bay.

I have been diagnosed with ALS. My hands are weaker, I had to quit my job. a physical therapist told me to hold a softball, palm facing down. Drop it, quick catch it before it hits anything, and keep doing that until my muscles get tired. This has helped. Then I got a weighted ball at Walmart,3 lb. and use that off and on. You might try that. It sure helped me.

Mine started with trembling when I yawned. Now that is in both hands. My left is slower and weaker...a combination of progression and pinched nerves in my neck.

I get the clenched fists at night too... have a hard time getting them unclenched when I wake up. The neuro said this is just part of the UMN stuff. I have a resting hand splint to wear at night... it keeps the hand in a natural position and won't let it get curled up during the night. You might want to give these a try... but keep in mind if you wear them on both hands at the same time, you have to have someone with you to get them off and on!

There's an interesting trade off, here, though. If your hands become more naturally curled, even if you lose all or most of the strength in them, the tendon contracture itself will give you a functional ability to hold things, strength. If you fight to the last moment to keep your hands flat, when they don't have strength left, you need a u-cuff or similar tool to get anything done with them. So I think progression speed has a lot to do with that decision. I doubt this would be useful for someone who is going to lose all their arm strength in fairly short order, as in many cases of ALS, but for a slow progressing PLSer it can be a lot more meaningful.

There's a classic story told of a lunch given between two paralymic events, where the athletes didn't have most of their stuff with them. The quads with curled fingers threaded the forks between their fingers and ate away. At least one of the ones with flat fingers was caught out in the embarrassing position of not having his utensil cuff. Curled fingers can be an assistive device that is always with you.

Flat fingers, of course, are considered more aesthetic, so there's that. Also, it makes it easier to get gloves on.

I went with the "quad claw" plan, and even with just wrist extensors, it has been a big help over my quad years.

Great analogy Beky. I use wrist braces during most of the day and the kind I have has thumb support since I keep tearing tendons in my thumbs and both of them are out of place now. I can straighten my curled fingers with effort and yes they are painful, especially in the mornings when waking. Recently I noted that my keyboard on my computer seems to be getting stiff keys, yet my hubby does not think there is a problem with the keyboard. So either there is a conspiracy like I thought there was with people tightening all the jars and caps too tightly, or I am just going to have to accept it for what it really is.

You can do it, Joyce, you're a tough lady!

Lou,
I have similar symptoms. I get big tremors in my hands and arms. I also get cramping in hands and feet.
Hang in there Lou!

I will see my neurologist or nurse sometime next week for this fist clenching thing. Last week I dropped two plates of food (one right after the other). It was so frustrating and the reality of this disease showed it's face again. I talked to a different doctor on the phone (mine was out last week) and she wrote me a prescription of Diazepam to take at night along with my 20 mgs of Baclofen. She thinks this will help with the waking up due to clenched fists and the hand and wrist pain that follows in the morning. I am now being careful about carrying things as I now at any time I could easily drop something.

I'm feeling quite overwhelmed right now. I've accepted my legs not working right, but I really need my hands. I'll see what I can do to be proactive with this, whether it be physical therapy or something. Just don't like the thought of more drugs.

LouLou

Hi LouLou,

The intermittent cramps in my left hand ( & loss of dexterity and strength) prompted me to seek medical attention. I do wake up with hand pains - and often the aches last all day and lately have been running up my forearm. My left hand has lost muscle and is quite a bit smaller now. Over the last four months - I have developed a definite webbed look between thumb and index finger. I often also get cramps in the sole of both feet - but am still walking OK. (though left side is rubbery at times). Advil helps with the pain - ativan helps with the sleeping - sometimes. I do wake up with clenched fist throughout the night, but thankfully, I can still pull it open in a short time. So, all this to say, I'm now in the market for an IPad - cuz typing on keyboard is getting harder. (that and holding a fork - so wonder why I'm getting fat Ha!). Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back