Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
Since Tuesday this week, my legs have felt more stiff than they normally do. I have not done anything different. Do any of you have flare ups like this? This has happened to me before. Just wondering why it happens. Overuse? I was diagnosed last June.

I did have a wonderful 45 minute leg massage with my massage therapist tonight. It helps to loosen things up temporarily, but the spasticity comes back quickly. The massage is a treat I give myself occasionally and feels great after a long day at work.

Blessings,
LouLou

Hello

I don't know what you do for work--but when I was working my leg spasms were much, much worse. I take baclofen and valium to help control the spasms and cramps.

Do you have access to a whirlpool? that helped me a lot--in my complex, the hot tub is downstairs, so I can't use it often--but it works wonders.

many countless times over the years i can get bouts of severe spaticity for no reason...........my mum would say "what have you been doing" ,i'd reply "nothing".
just put it down to the desease process and the fact that unless we physically over do things sometimes its out of our hands.

i have noticed with me that if i have a niggle , like for instance, a cold sore throat...bad stomach...lots of things .........the spaz can really give me what for...johnny

"Do any of you have flare-ups?"

Yes! Especially when it moves to a new area!

It's so unpredictable, but I know that if I get stressed at all, I will tighten up like a twisted rubberband . So much so, that walking becomes impossible. If my spasticity flares I increase my baclofen. When things have calmed down, I decrease the baclofen,. It's always a balancing act.

DITTO joyce,we are so alike in progression ect and the way we deal with it.

Ditto Joyce. When I'm stressed, whatever it is I have is ten times worse. Spasms and cramps kept me up all night last nite. I'm at 28 hours now

I will try increasing the baclofen and see if that helps. Tonight my inner thighs and back of legs are tight and I have not experienced this before. I have been more stressed lately, so that could be the reason.

Where are you in your progression of PLS and when has spasticity been the worse? I feel like I'm going to tip over when I get so spastic.

LouLou

God yes...

getting stressed; lack of enough sleep (fit in some naps if you can) and over exertions all contribute

Yes, Stress & Cold Weather make me really stiff walking. I remember before I was even to a doctor about my walking problems I got into an argument with someone at work and went to walk away, that's when I knew there was really a problem. I was an Estimator in an auto body shop and one of the tech's was questioning why I was replacing a front rail on a car that was hit hard. I argued for at least 15 minutes that it was beyond repair for safety reasons, it would be too weak to set the air bags off if it got hit hard in the front again. I tried to turn and walk away and everyone in the shop was watching me, I was so stiff I couldn't step over the parts and air hoses. That was when I knew and my boss pulled me to the side and said I needed to see a doctor.

Yes, I have days and nights when my legs feel stiffer and heavier and cramps are worse. Then I have a few days when I can't believe anything is really wrong with me. I am new to this forum and until reading this thread I have not seen anyone else talking about the cramps and spasms. I also have the twitches pretty consistently. I feel like i am always trying to figure out what causes the cramps and stiffness to be worse some days. I agree cold and stress make everything worse. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but, are these symptoms more common to PLS than ALS?

can't speak for ALS, but in PLS, spaticity and weakness is usually the first symptoms we notice.

Bad weather and cold make my spasticity worse.

Since Tuesday this week, my legs have felt more stiff than they normally do. I have not done anything different. Do any of you have flare ups like this? This has happened to me before. Just wondering why it happens. Overuse? I was diagnosed last June.

I did have a wonderful 45 minute leg massage with my massage therapist tonight. It helps to loosen things up temporarily, but the spasticity comes back quickly. The massage is a treat I give myself occasionally and feels great after a long day at work.

Blessings,
LouLou

Hello LouLou -

I was recently diagnosed. On early Sunday morning - a calf muscle cramp/spasm was bad and lasted the entire day. I took Advil (little help) and needed to use a cane (for the first time) when walking outside, as I did not trust the leg would hold me up. By late Sunday it was gone - Since then the cramps come and go in all limbs - HOWEVER - I am certain that if I overdo (cleaning etc) and lack sleep - guaranteed the spasms come back. I meet Dr. for follow up in August - hopefully will get a prescription for something like others are taking. Was thinking of trying reiki.. any thoughts on this?:?:

Elaine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back