Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
nv
City
Henderson
We will be taking a cruise in May and I will rent a scooter, take it on the plane with me and then on t he cruise. We will be on an Alaskan cruise leaving from Vancouver. Any problem with renting a scooter and taking it into Canada.
Also any helpful hints about t raveling with a scooter?

Hi Prime,

You shouldn't have any problem taking a rental scooter into Canada. Read the link that Lori directed you to to answer most questions. I would recommend you rent a mid-size THREE wheeled scooter for enhanced manueverability vs a FOUR wheeled one. A power seat is also a nice option.

I assume you are flying to Vancouver. I just returned from a 8 day trip to Hawaii and took TWO scooters on the flight. There were no problems. My wife drove one to the check-in and I drove the other. US Air couldn't have been more helpful. Plus they double as luggage carts. You can pile stuff onto the floor and pull another piece of wheeled luggage behind. You will be able to drive your scooter to the gate and likely to the boarding door of the plane where you will be transferred to an aisle chair to take you to your seat or, if you can walk with the assistance of chair backs, then you can seat yourself. Be sure to advise the airline of your needs at least a day ahead and get to the check-in at least 1 1/2 or 2 hours ahead.

Enjoy your cruise to Alaska. It's still on my bucket list.

My wife has PLS. We did Alaska cruise boarding in Vancouver. Cruise ship terminal in Vancouver is very handicapped friendly. We took both scooter and manual wheelchair on the ship. She drove the scooter onto ship while I pushed the wheelchair with essential luggage loaded onto it. Found the wheelchair very convenient on ship for dining room and shows.

Make sure the cruise line knows you need a handicap cabin or a larger.upgraded room where you can fit the scooter into the door. The scooters dimensions should coincide with the particular cruiselines cabin doors. Basically most cruise line companies have a Accessibilities department that can help you choose the correct size. I have cruises extensively with a jimmie pwc and it does great with airlines and cruise ships.

I just got off a cruise ship friday ending a 12 day cruise from Hawaii, this is the first one we have taken with a wheelchair, Royal Caribbean has a special department that helps with w/c, scooters and etc. We went through them to make sure all the excersions were prepared for and could handle assistive devices. We were in an accessable room which is larger, the door opened automatically, the bathroom can acomadate a chair and has grab bars.
Check with the cruise line, all should have a department that assistes with mobility issues.
We have cruised Alaska 3 times and want to do it again, It is our favorite! Enjoy
Nurse Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back