Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
nv
City
Henderson
I am presently using a 4 wheel walker and have been told that I should probably pass using a scooter and go to a power chair. I looked on line and there are soo many different types and brands
Can anyone share what has worked well for you?
Thanks

I'm going to get help setting up a measurement appointment when the time comes from my PT and group leader from our local ALSA.

Get with ALS of Nevada, Megan will steer you in the right direction. They may also have a scooter in the loaner closet you can use for now.

I have an Invacare Storm Series Arrow, which I purchased used off Ebay for $3,000 and love. I use it to commute to work, which is about a mile away from where I live (using sidewalks), and then I use it to get around at work as well. I also have a manual chair, but I much prefer the power one.

Jim

I use a Permobil c300 and love it. It has the smallest footprint I've ever seen in a rugged, every day use PWC.

Get started sooner than later it could take awhile, with getting approval and all thru medicare and only one every 5 years. I am hoping to get Invacare T D X small foot print also, others recommeneded it.

Di, I G ooked it up, and that model sounds just like you "simple yet elegant design, eye-catching, with a go-anywhere attitude. I sure hope they get moving on it soon soon soon.

Kiwi, Thanks hoping to know something by tomarrow. It has all the bells and whistles or should have...lol

I actually just got measured for my chair yesterday. The guy that came was super nice and very experienced with PALS, having worked for the DME vendor at Forbes in CA for 11 years. He told me about all the different brands and the advantages of front, mid, or rear wheel drive, and what kinds you can get in each of those categories. I ended up picking the midwheel drive Permobil M300. He said in his opinion it was the most comfortable chair and they have the least amount of complaints about it. Anyways, talking to the wheelchair dudes is definitely the way to go... and I learned I have ridiculously long femurs to boot ;D

~ Sarah

I am presently using a 4 wheel walker and have been told that I should probably pass using a scooter and go to a power chair. ..Thanks
I'm wondering why you were advised to bypass the scooter stage? I have PLS, am past the walker stage and have been using scooters since 2005 and much prefer them to a chair. Also they are cheap. I like Lori's suggestion to borrow one from a loan closet in the meantime (or rent one for a week) and try it out before you go for a chair.

I think that the reason they give for bypassing the scooter stage with ALS is because the time that a PALS can safely use one may be limited due to increasing loss of trunk strength. Many use medicare to pay for the pwc and if the monies have already been spent on a scooter they won't then pay for the pwc when the time comes that it's needed. I got my pwc last fall and it was only a couple of months before I began to appreciate the benefit of the tilt and recline on the pwc to help support my trunk by early afternoon.

Gary can still walk while using a walker and with AFOs on both legs. He has an appointment May 1 for a powerchair fitting. We have been wondering if Medicare will pay for a chair with "bells and whistles" for things he doesn't actually need at this point in time, but will all to soon. How does that work? Also, when you initially order the chair can you have it fit for transportation tie downs? How and when is that done?

Thanks for any advice you have to share!

Gary's PT should be knowledgeable about the progression he faces and order the chair with those needs in mind. If certain items are' not on the chair right away, it should have the capacity to have them added at a later date. I did not need adductor supports for my thighs at the time the chair was ordered, now these supports are being added on. I would encourage you to ask for the elevate feature to promote ease in performing transfers to different heights when he is no longer able to stand for transfers. I was told that medicare would not pay for this and that the cost was about $2400.00. I would gladly have payed extra for this as it would have allowed me more freedom in the kitchen while my arms still functioned. It is not something that can now be added onto the particular frame that's my chair has. Check the archives for features that other forum members use. I think the capacity for tie downs for transport are pretty standard. Make a list of features that you think he'll need and take that along with you to the fitting appointment.

Thanks for the response, Deb. We do have a list that I have made from reading anything and everything on the forum - there's a lot to ask for! I just didn't know how it works with Medicare - guess we will ask for the works and see what they say. Is Medicare covering your add-ons? He has to go to a "wheelchair and seating clinic" at a hospital, so we are not familiar with whoever will be doing the fitting or their ALS "IQ", so don't know how flexible they will be. I do appreciate your suggestion about the elevate feature - we'll start saving for it.

We really didn't want to wait for the fitting because from reading stories on here it seems to take so long to get the chair after the fitting. Gary is going to the ALS clinic at Virginia Mason in Seattle while we are down for our daughter's graduation in June - would it be better to wait and have them do it, or do they actually do wheelchair fittings at the clinics? The local MDA does have loaner powerchairs if we need temporary wheels.

primerib16 - I hope you don't mind sharing your thread. I just got carried away when I saw your inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back