Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Davenport and Harrisburg
State: Florida and Pennsylvania
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
mookyred is on a distinguished road
Default This is for Lou Lou - tin man effect

I read a post of yours and you said you had the tin man effect. I had that too for a couple of years. I'd startle and body would go rigid and I would fall with no bending. What helped me was physical therapy and diazapam. I would not take baclofen, not that I'm telling you not to take it, but diazapam stopped that tin man effect. Actually, you can take both. However, I would think you'd have to reduced some of the baclofen. If I don't take diazapam, the tin man will come back.

The reason I finally insisted on it was the fact that at one point they thought I had stiffpersons syndrome, which the tin man effect is common symptom. Diazapam is the ONLY treatment for Stiffperson's syndrome. Well, I took it and am up to 3mg's 3 times a day. My spasticity at present time is not that bad. It is the only medication I take. I go to an ALS clinic and would not agree to baclofen, so comprised with diazapam. It and physical therapy were life savers for me....no more tin man. Diazapam and PT = much improved me!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Woodinville
State: Washington
Diagnosed: 06/2011
LouLou is on a distinguished road
City: Woodinville
State: Washington
Diagnosed: 06/2011
LouLou is on a distinguished road
Default Re: This is for Lou Lou - tin man effect

At my last visit with the nurse at the University clinic, we discussed the falls that I was having. The nurse said I could be falling more easily since the startle reflex kicks in when you feel the slightest possibility that you are falling. Makes sense. So then you have no time to correct yourself when your body is totally stiff! Just the other day at work someone came around the corner and literally ran right in to me. It was one of the worst of the startle reflexes that I've had. It is so wierd!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM #3 (permalink)

Default Re: This is for Lou Lou - tin man effect

The nurse is partially right, but I tell you, I have been to John Hopkin's, University of Michigan, Mt. Siani in NY, National Institute of Health, and Penn State Hershey Medical Center. The National Institute of Health are the one's who said I could have a seronegative form of Stiffperson's syndrome and the only treatment was Diazapam. I didn't take it until 2007 or 2008. There is an antibody associated with Stiffperson's and I didn't have it. Small does of diazapam did the trick for me. Yes, some of it could be psychological, but I tell you diazapam is the answer. No tin man for me anymore! My kids were amazed at the difference. Look up Stiffperson's syndrome. Thanks for responding.

Mary Kay
Closed Thread

Tags
als, back, baclofen, clinic, life, physical therapy, symptom, therapy, treatment