Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Woodinville
Just want to hear other PLSers experience with PT. I am 3 weeks into a 8 week session to strengthen my hips, core, and work on balance issues. If you have had PT, did you continue the routine on your own? It is hard work, but I want to do this. Just have to remember that it's physical therapy and not working out with a personal trainer! It's disappointing to try to kick your leg back or do leg circles when you feel like a rag doll with weights on. With time it should get easier and if not... at least I've tried! :)

LouLou

Well, I have ALS, not PLS, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in for ya...

I've been in PT and OT for awhile now. I'm about to finish it up and that's it for me... not intending to do anymore work with a therapist until there are some drastic changes. I intend to continue with the pool/aquatic exercises as those seem to be the most beneficial. The only other things I did in PT were to ride an exercise bike (I have one at home so it kinda irked me to spend time on it there, but oh well) and work on gait and balance. Those last two things were ok, but with the constant changes, it was pretty frustrating. I think if I can walk, they should just be glad I can walk at all still... who cares if it's not exactly to their ideal standards?

Anyways, if you haven't yet tried the aquatics, I highly recommend it. It makes it much easier to do the leg circles and lifts and all that stuff. My only problem with it is that I can't wear my KAFO in the water and that really puts a strain on my knee and the uncorrected foot drop makes walking in the pool harder. I'm hoping one of these days my orthotist will come up with a water-proof KAFO and then I'll be all set!

PT & OT can also get the ball moving for AFOs, safe home check and modification recommendations, driving assessment, power wheelchair recommendations, range of motion exercises, equipment to make everyday tasks easier, balance like you said. You can do the exercises they show you at home. I got a lot out of it myself. And I can call them when it's time for a power wheelchair for a fitting.

Well I don't have PLS but I will say that PT has helped me with energy. It helps me in the fact that I have to get out of the house twice a week and go do exercise. ...prevents me from getting blood clots from sitting on the couch all day and it helps get my blood circulating. Am I getting better with balance, or aerobics or anything like that? Sadly no. I am on a very obvious decline but my PT adjust and boosts my confidence by letting me know that I am doing a 'good job!'

I want to ask what do you think about stem cell therapy , becouse i am in preparation to go in China to do this therapy and i would like to know if some of you has any experience about this .I have a ALS . Thanks a lot.

Re: Please help me !

want to ask what do you think about stem cell therapy , becouse i am in preparation to go in China to do this therapy and i would like to know if some of you has any experience about this .I have a ALS . Thanks a lot.

Zorane, welcome to the family,so sorry for your diagnosis!

Zorane, I do not recommend going to China for stem cell therapy. Do some research before submiting yourself to treatments that aren't approved in the US, and by research, I don't mean their website or listening to their sales people. There are a lot of quacks out there all over the world that are happy to take desparate people's money and often the treatments result in death.

http://www.quackwatch.org/06ResearchProjects/stemcell.html

http://alsresearchnews.tumblr.com/post/15731701689/china-stops-unapproved-stem-cell-treatments

Last edited:
Zdravo Nikola mnogu mi e milo sto odgovori na mojata poraka.Se informiram okolu tretmanot za maticni kletki vo Kina, i bi sakal da znam nekoe iskustvo okolu ovaa bolest.Bidete ljubezni i spodelite vase iskustvo,,,, kako se vie snaogate so bolesta ....predlozi nekoe resenie ....

pozdrav

Dear Ms.Pie thanks for your answer. About ALS did you have any solution ... Thanks

I sent you a message! :wink:

Poslao sam ti poruku odmah potraži je!

Nikola nov sum na forumot i seuste ne mozam bas dobro da upravuvam .. ne mozam da ja najdam porakata ..ako sakas pusti mail ili nekoj broj za kontakt da iskontaktirame..
ZAEDNO SME POSILNI I

U gornjem desnom uglu piše Welcome,Zoran klikni na svoje ime otvoriće ti se stranica sa porukom, tamo imaš moj mail.:arrow:

Hi Lou Lou, I have HSP and went through PT and OT for one year. I really did not make any progress from my sessions. I agree with Ms Pie that PT was most beneficial in my transition periods from the AFO to the cane and now to the KAFO. I try to do what I can at home now to keep up the range of motion. Just my experience though :) Good luck to you.

Pt and OT over for me...I do what streching I can and move all that I can. I wil continue to do so until I can not.

Welcome Zoran, nice to meet you, right now there is no solution to ALS, they are still working on it. So sorry you were diagnosised with this, but you are not alone, we are here for you. Welcome to the family of the best people from around the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back